Elsia

"What's her name, Cecelia?"
"Elsia."
"El-what?"
"Elsia, it's a mix between Elle and Asia. Those are her grandmothers' names from both sides, Lincoln."
"What happened to her? What happened to Elsia?"
"She knew too much."
"That doesn't make sense, Cecilia."
I give a mirthless laugh. "It does to the people who need to know."
"Do you understand?"
"Yes."
Lincoln rubs his forehead, "why is she here?"
"Elsia needs protection."
"That doesn't answer my question, Cecilia. I want to know why she's here, not what she needs."
"She's here because of me. I'm her guardian."
"No way, Elsia's your kid?!"
"No, she's my cousin's." I shrug, looking at the small girl with wavy, reddish-blond hair and dark brown eyes. "But Agatha's gone so I'm taking care of Elsia."
"That's weird."
"I don't care."
Lincoln rubs his forehead again, "so why did you bring the girl who knew too much here? It doesn't make sense no matter how much you say, Cecelia. In fact, it's only becoming more complex."
I give him an annoyed look, "go finish your paperwork."
"I will as soon as you tell me why she's really here."
"I told you why-"
"No, you didn't. Cecelia, no one ends up at this place for knowing too much. It's freaky even working here! Why would you bring a kid here when they have a sound mind? Tell me."
"She knew too much."
I watch Elsia. As Elsia pulls lock after lock of her hair from the ponytail it had been in, she slowly sticks the hair into her mouth, chewing. She spits and hair lands in front of her. She sits Indian style and as she continues to eat her hair an spit it out, I see what she's doing. Her hair is above her shoulders, all in her face now.
Lincoln stares in horror, "she's mental. Maybe she does belong here."
"No, she's just giving herself a haircut." I say.
"Cecelia," Lincoln breathes heavily, looking sick to his stomach, "that child is using her teeth."
"They're sharp enough. I've seen her when she eats ribs. She leaves no scraps."
"How can you be so calm? She's barely nine -"
"She's eight."
"She's so young, Cecelia! And look at her. She's eating her own hair. Isn't that crazy enough for you? Look at her."
"Lincoln, go finish your paperwork. I have to go see Elsia."
"Don't go in there!"
"Why not?"
"Look at her! Don't you have any worries for the kid, Cecelia? She's terrifying me."
"I helped raise her," and with that, I step into the room, the door automatically locking behind me.