Showtime

"Do you have an eye shadow palette? I completely forgot to bring mine!"

"I have hairpins left! Who needs more?"

"Coming through! 'Scuse me!"

It was pure chaos backstage as the members of the Luna East Dance Club were in the midst of their final preparations for the fundraiser recital. Some person or another still hasn't had her make up or her hair done. There was a lot of shouting, drowned by the low hum of the rest of the girls chatting with each other and the muffled sounds coming from the orchestra on the main stage. The nervousness each dancer was feeling was palpable, and all of them tried to cope with it in their own way.

Saree, who was thankfully already made up and in full Odile costume, just sat in front of the dressing table with her eyes closed, going through her routine mentally to tamp down her own building panic.

This was it. She worked so hard for this night. Now, it was time to show the whole school and its community the results.

Beside her, Mel, who was also completely decked in her costume as one of the swans, was taking deep frantic breaths, shaking her hands as if to ward off the negativity from her own thoughts.

"Oh, gosh. I've done this before. Why am I so nervous?" she whispered.

Saree opened her eyes and peered at her friend. "Stop shaking. You're making me nervous."

"I can't help it," Mel whined. "I'm sorry."

"Do you want water?" Saree offered.

"If I drink, I'd be making a mad dash to the bathroom."

"Well, better now than later."

"Ugh, you have a point." Mel immediately grabbed Saree's big tumbler and gulped down two mouthfuls. "You have a message, Saree."

Saree unlocked her phone and, after knowing who sent her a text, smiled.

Eli Antonio:
Mel told me you're not supposed to wish dancers good luck. I don't know why. But anyway, I'm definitely sure you'll kill it later.
19:11

She tapped on her phone, quickly typing a reply.

Me:
Yes, that's true. Well at least the pros don't. They say "Merde" instead. Will you be watching?
19:11

Eli Antonio:
Yep, my parents wouldn't want to miss Mel and Swan Lake for the world.
19:12

Eli Antonio:
Isn't that French for "shit?"
19:12

"The water's quick. I'm gonna take a pee," Mel announced.

"Sure, let it all out before the performance," Saree advised absentmindedly.

Me:
Yes! :P
Mel's gonna be amazing tonight. Well, she will be as long as she gets over her nerves.
19:14

Eli Antonio:
Mel said the same thing about you. But not about the nerves. Looking forward to your pas de deux. :)
19:15

Me:
I just hope I don't screw it up. My tummy's full of butterflies right now.
19:15

Eli Antonio:
They'll be gone once you step on stage.
19:16

Me:
You're probably right. But right now they're not helping.
19:16

Eli Antonio:
Well, if you need a friendly face to look at, we're seated on the third row dead center.
19:17

Me:
The lights will probably be dim in the audience area, but I'll keep that in mind. :) Thanks, Eli!
19:17

Eli Antonio:
Mom's making me keep my phone already.
19:18

"Oh, gosh, the orchestra just started their last piece. We're next."

Saree looked up and saw Mel already by their dressing table slightly out of breath.

"Ladies, ready in 2," Ms. Amor called from the door. As if on cue, the energy in the room became more frenzied—more panicked voices joined the din as everyone started filing out of the room. Some pleaded for a last run to the bathroom while others asked for assistance to fix whatever was out of place.

Saree passed by Ms. Amor, who gave her an encouraging smile paired with two quick pats on the shoulder and a quickly whispered, "Merde."

And for a moment, all the hours they spent rehearsing the dance went by her mind's eye in a movie-like montage, each frame slowly overwhelming her with emotions she didn't want to be feeling at the moment. It wasn't the right time to drown in sentiment—not yet.

She took calming breaths as she paused by her teacher's side long enough to return the curse—the dancer's wish of good luck—with what she wanted to feel while on stage. She gave a beam of heartfelt gratitude.

Then she took her place by the wings with the rest, waiting for her pas de deux, taking Alex's hand with her clammy ones and entering the stage on cue. And with every count, every step, and every twirl she found herself more and more in the zone. All the butterflies taking up space in her tummy, all the nerves she felt at the wings and backstage, gone.

"That's it," she heard Alex whispered to her in one of their many lifts, raising her confidence even further.

She let her fears go and danced with everything she had. And she nailed everything with not a single mistake, just like Eli said she would.

And just like she claimed, the audience was a black sea of barely discernable seats and faces. But she still tried to look for that friendly face at what she thought was the dead center of the third row and flashed a smile when she took her bow, knowing he'd see it.

-@-

Eli Antonio:
You were amazing, Saree!
21:32

Me:
Thank you! <3 My hands are still shaking. OMG I can't believe I did it!
21:45

Eli Antonio:
I never doubted you could do it.
21:46

Me:
Thank you for believing in me. It means so much.
Have you and your family gone ahead already?
21:47

Eli Antonio:
Yeah, we left around 10 mins ago?
Mel wanted to wait for you to come out but she mentioned you were talking with Alex and Ella and it looked like you were going to take some time more.
21:50

Me:
Yeah, we were. Sorry I missed you guys.
Wasn't even able to say bye to Mel.
21:51

Eli Antonio:
That's fine. Haha. You can miss Mel for a few days.
21:52

Me:
Haha. You are so mean to your sister.
21:52

Eli Antonio:
Big bro perks. :P
21:53

Eli Antonio:
Saree? May I ask you something?
21:55

Me:
What is it?
21:55

Eli Antonio:
I was wondering if you're busy tomorrow.
21:56

Me:
I'm finally free for the first time in weeks. Of course I'll be very busy. Haha.
Just kidding. Why are you asking?
21:56

Eli Antonio:
Can we meet at Sandy's tomorrow? To celebrate?
22:00

Me:
I'd like that.
Very much.
22:03