letter seventeen.

GENEVIEVE CHEN.
NEW YORK CITY.

            My dearest Peter,

                        Remind me again what sleep is.

                        I seem to have forgotten because your son simply refuses to sleep through the night. I thought I had been prepared for this, but constantly being woken up by cries from his crib is more difficult in practice than in theory........ Oh, I think I just fell asleep there for a second. Sorry, dear.

                        Despite his inability to sleep for more than an hour at a time, little Isaac is the light of my life. You've never seen a cuter baby, or anything cuter than him at all. He looks at the world with such wonder, like he can't believe he's seeing this. I don't think I've ever felt more love for anything or anyone. He's a miracle, and he came at the perfect time.

                        Although I wish he would just let me sleep from eight at night to six in the morning with no interruptions. That'd be nice, I think.

                        Well, Isaac's sleeping right now, but I expect he'll be waking up again soon. My parents advised me to sleep when the baby sleeps but I figured now might be the only time I have to tell you about your son's insomnia. I'm kidding, of course, he's just a baby, hardly a week old. He'll sleep better soon, I'm sure. Though as far as I'm concerned soon can't come fast enough.

                        I see you in him, Peter. I wish you could see him.

Yours truly,
Genevieve Chen

Yours truly,Genevieve Chen

PETER PEVENSIE.
ASLAN'S COUNTRY.

            My dearest Genevieve,

                        Ah, see, this is where Susan's dictionary games come in handy. Sleep, as defined by Merriam-Webster's fifth edition of the Collegiate Dictionary, is "the natural, easily reversible periodic state of many living things that is marked by the absence of wakefulness and by the loss of consciousness of one's surroundings." I could add more but if you were here you'd throw me a tired yet amused look.

                        I did tell you that you should stock up on sleep while you should — although as I finished writing that sentence I realised that you wouldn't have heard me say that, or rather seen me write it. But yes, losing sleep is much harder in practice than theory. You always think you can stay up but then when you're doing something important, such as studying for exams, you feel your eyes start to flutter closed. Just start to follow your parents' advice and sleep when the baby does.

                        I've no doubt he's the cutest thing you've ever seen. He's got half your genes, he'd be adorable no matter the other half.

                        Oh, shall I tell you a story I just remembered? It was after Edmund was born. He was an awfully loud baby, kept crying at all hours of the night and I was so young and so tired that at one point I said to my parents, and they do so love telling this story whenever he and I fought, "Send him back, please." Clearly, they did not comply with my request.

                        I wish I could see Isaac. Even just a glimpse. But I worry seeing him would break my heart more, because I'm not there to hold him with you. Get some sleep, my love. I'll be here for your next letter.

Sincerely yours,
Peter Pevensie