[32] Elevator

'If we wait until we're ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives' - Lemony Snicket

Chapter 32: Elevator

"There you both are. You're late."

Nate and I walked into Mrs Maythorne's hotel room in Paris.

Pariii

She had a plan written out on a giant sheet of paper. The other boys were there and Jesper glanced from me to Nate and then back at me.

I licked the breadcrumbs off my lips. That pastry was so good.

Everything about Paris felt like a dream that I'd almost forgotten why we were here. Zane had broken out of a prison – a prison where other people like us were being locked up - and we were going to rescue them.

Ha. We. As if I can do anything

But we went over the plan. The break-in would happen in the early hours of Sunday morning. On Saturday night, there was an event that some of the prison owners would attend. We needed to get their keys off of them. So Mrs Maythorne had called some of her contacts to score us invites to the event.

"Mohan, Zander and I can't show our faces at the party. They'll recognize us immediately since we're well known in the community and Zander was once a prisoner. So it's down to you three."

She pointed at Hugo, Nate and me.

"You're the new generation," Mohan said, "I hope you can handle a little party."

Jesper volunteered, "I can help."

Mohan hesitated. We were down on numbers and any help would be useful.

"No," I said, "That was the deal. Jesper stays out of this."

I had made him that promise: I wouldn't jeopardize his safety anymore. He would live his own human life free of our world. 

Jesper has spent a long time protecting me. It's about time I start protecting him.

Wow, am I growing up?

"But he can handle himself, probably better than Georgia can," Hugo said, "Maybe they can swap places."

I kicked him.

"What?! You can't control your own strength yet!" Hugo rubbed his sore leg.

"We'll manage," Nate said, "Even if it's just me."

Serious Nate can be so se-

Stop it.

"We're relying on you," Mrs Maythorne said, "But we will support you. Tomorrow, my friend is showing me around the estate, where the party will be. I'll plant some cameras so we can feed you live intel. Now rest up. You'll need sleep to be on top form tomorrow."

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

"Let's party," Hugo hollered into the hotel phone.

I rubbed my eyes, groggily waking up from a six-hour nap. Jet lag.

I put the phone to my other ear, "What time is it?"

"Time. To. Party," Hugo repeated.

"It's nine o'clock," Jesper said, raising his arm from under his bed sheets in a clear F-you.

We were sharing a hotel room. Our two beds were near each other.  He slept shirtless and white sheets were wrapped around his strong legs.

I looked away.