vier­und­zwanzig.

RED FACED and runny nose was the only thing you could focus on when you got to the campus the next day. you were feeling like shit, thanks to swimming out in the cold without properly drying yourself off. you knew that you'd probably catch a cold within a few days but you didn't exactly expect it to start now.

     despite your runny nose and high temperature, you forced yourself to go out of your bed and go to your classes. it was a terrible idea, you knew that, but college is important than a simple runny nose. especially when there were homework to pass and tests to take. 

     plus, you weren't going to skip medications, it would probably be gone as soon as you knew it. heck, maybe after your classes!

     "y/n!" someone cooed as you entered the cafeteria, an arm already draped around your shoulders. you blinked owlishly and looked up, spotting reiner looking at you with an arched eyebrow. "woah, you're burning!" he pulled his arm away and placed his hand on your forehead.

     he frowned and dragged you towards their table, "you're sick, y/n! why did you even go to college?" reiner grumbled out with a frown, forcing you to seat between him and bertholdt who looked at you with a smile as a greeting. 

     pieck looked up from her food and saw your red face before smirking to yourself, "are you blushing, y/n? did reiner do something to you?" she jeered.

     the blond rolled his eyes before pushing his sandwich and a bottle of water to you, "this idiot decides to go to her classes when she's sick."

     you tiredly picked up the food before taking small bites, ignoring your friends' pampering and concerns towards you. you were grateful for it but you were too tired and sick to put all of your attention on your friends. you were glad that they didn't ask how you got sick, you have no idea how you could explain your reason without reiner and the others scolding you.

     after eating and taking your meds, you felt a bit energized from the nutrients you got but the headache and runny nose were still not going away.

     "maybe you should go home, y/n." annie advised after feeling your temperature. the others nodded and began telling you to go to the clinic but all you did was shake your head, causing you to flinch slightly at the pain that followed soon after.

     "it's okay," you coughed out and cleared your throat, "it'll go away as soon as you know it."

     reiner rolled his eyes and wrapped his arms around you. you squirmed away from his hold, "you'll get sick, you idiot!" you exclaimed, not really liking the skinship you keep getting from the blond. usually, you'd like the attention but since you're sick, everything started to annoy you. 

     the blond could only laugh and didn't budge from your weak punches, "my immune system is pretty strong, thank you very much."

     despite your complaints and pleas for help from your friends, the blond never refused to leave you alone. his hug only tightened and you finally admitted defeat by letting your guard down, allowing the blond to take care of you as a caring mother would.

     the time came where their lunchtime ended. reiner reluctantly let you go, before you could stand up and walk towards your class, you felt a stinging pain on your scalp.

     you yelped in pain and looked up, seeing your hair tangled with the gold necklace reiner always wore. the blond chuckled and told you to wait, taking his time on untangling the chain from your hair. your eyes narrowed when you caught something glint and realized it was the pendant of his necklace, that same gold star her mother gave to him. a wave of familiarization washed over you and despite seeing it so many times, you couldn't remember where you last saw it. but you knew that the image was still recent.