twenty six

just like heaven - the cure

zayn

I end up calling Carlie once my shift at the coffee shop is over. This morning, I had forgotten to ask Louis for a ride home from work as well, considering my truck is still broken down. Since I had plans with Carlie anyway, she claims she has no problem coming to pick me up.

I gladly hang up my apron and lean against the counter, tapping my fingers against the surface as I wait. Ella takes notice of how antsy I am and cocks an eyebrow at me.

"What?" I ask, slightly bemused.

"Nothing," she says. "I never got to ask you, but who was that this morning?"

I frown as I take notice of her bitter tone. "That was the girl I had been seeing."

"Seeing as in...dating?"

"You could say that," I shrug. "Why?"

She tucks her hair behind her ear, not meeting my gaze. "You seemed upset with her. I don't know, it looked very tense."

Shifting my weight from one foot to the other, I begin to grow uncomfortable. I really do not have much of a desire to sit here and tell Ella everything that has gone on between Carlie and I, though I get the vibe that she wants to know.

"Nevermind, you don't have to explain anything. Sorry for prying." She mumbles shortly, embarrassed.

I nod awkwardly, unsure of what to say. Thankfully, I don't have to say anything, because a text pops up on my phone from Carlie, saying she is outside.

"My ride is here," I state, reaching for my jacket from the coat rack and shrugging it on. "Bye, Ella, see you tomorrow."

"Bye, Zayn."

I leave the shop and head out into the cold briefly, before spotting Carlie's BMW that was surely a gift from her father. I begin to wonder about how things have been between the two of them, but the thought escapes my mind as I slip into the passenger seat, engulfed with Carlie's familiar scent.

"Hey." She greets me. I can already sense she is debating whether or not she should kiss me, so I make the decision for her, leaning in and pressing my lips to hers.

Immediately, she kisses me back, and I still get the familiar, electrifying feeling that I had gotten every other time we kissed. Her hands rest on the nape of my neck as she brings me a bit closer to her, detaching herself from me briefly, only to close the distance between us again. I can't help but smile against her lips, laughing a bit when our teeth clash as she smiles too. I press one last kiss to the corner of her mouth and pull back, letting my eyes search her face.

"I really missed that." Carlie murmurs.

"Me too."

She giggles, leaning back into her seat, decreasing our proximity. Her hands find the wheel and she backs out of her parking space, smiling to herself. I know for sure I am doing the same.

"How was work?" She asks casually, glancing over at me.

"Busy," I mutter. "A lot busier than my other job used to be."

"I got that feeling when I came in this morning. That place is usually empty, but it is free coffee day and all." She rambles a bit. "I didn't even get anything."

"If you want, I can make you some coffee when we get back to mine." I offer, suppressing a smirk.

"Yeah, I'll pass on that one, Zayn," she says flatly. "It's ironic that you make a shit cup of coffee, yet you work in a coffee shop."