fifty - seven - "tumor on the wall" - fifty - seven

"The big day is here. The day you're gonna hear the news, the test result. Is the biopsy malignant or benign? Am I gonna live or die? You just want to know even if the news is scary because then you can move on. Whatever that means. They say ignorance is bliss because once you know about the tumor or the prognosis, you can't go back. Will you be strong or will you fall apart? It's hard to predict, so don't worry about it. Enjoy the time you have before the news comes. Yep, ignorance is bliss."
-Meredith Grey, S9E11, "The End is the Beginning is the End"

"Patients who undergo an amputation often feel a sensation where the missing limb was as if it's still there. The syndrome is called phantom limb. It's as if the body can't accept that a terrible trauma has occurred. The mind is trying to make the body complete again. Patients who experience phantom limb report many different sensations but by far the most common is pain. The body can be stubborn when it comes to accepting change. The mind holds out hope that the body can be whole again and the mind will always fight for hope, tooth and nail. Until it finds a way of understanding its new reality and accepts that what is gone is gone forever."
-Meredith Grey, S9E12, "Walking on a Dream"

"We've all heard the buzz words: streamline, optimize, integrate, adapt. Every day, someone comes up with a new strategy or tool or technology to increase our efficiency. The idea is to make our lives easier, but the question is, does it? To really be efficient, you have to eliminate what doesn't work. You have to figure out what is important and hold on tight to the things that matter most."
-Meredith Grey, S9E13, "Bad Blood"

"I'm not big into change. In oncology, when a normal cell changes into something malignant, it's called cellular transformation. The damn cells turn toxic right in front of your eyes. So, as far as I am concerned, transformation sucks. Change is a funny thing and not everyone can handle it. It can sneak up on you. Things aren't what they used to be. Your whole world has transformed. You realize the ground beneath you has shifted. Things are uncertain and there's no turning back. The world around you is different now, unrecognizable, and there's nothing you can do about it. You're stuck. Your future is staring you in the face and you're not sure you like what you see. Like I said, I'm not big into change."
-Alex Karev, S9E14, "Face of Change"

While Zola was in preschool, Derek and Meredith were working, and Anna was stuck in classes all day at the university. She met up with two friends during her break between classes, and they sat outside discussing their homework, when her phone started ringing. Anna quickly closed her textbook, grabbed her backpack, and walked away from the table as she answered her phone, "Hello?"

"Hey, Anna." Derek greeted her, "I'm not interrupting, right?"

"Nope. I'm on my break. I told you, eleven, remember? What's up?" She asked, knowing he was probably calling just to check up on her.

"Just wanted to see how your day was going."

"Well, I've had two surprise quizzes... so... okay." She answered, "Just hoping these next two lectures go by fast. What are you doing?"

"Torres is making me play ping pong. I've been playing against the interns all morning."

"What?" Anna laughed, "Are you serious?"

"Yeah. The motions from playing helps strengthen the nerve in my hand."

"Knowing you, it's gonna get competitive." Anna hummed, as he tried to deny it, "Yeah. Yeah. Deny it all you want."

Anna heard Arizona's voice in the background as Derek sighed, "Sorry, honey, I have to go. I'll see you here, later?"

"Yeah, dad. See you later."