25. Jenny, Triumphant

Triumph.

Triumph was a rare feeling for Jenny. After the phone conversation, she'd paraded around her apartment, cell phone elevated above her head like a trophy. Not only had she managed to set up a date with the alluring Juliana, she'd managed to make it a casual one. Almost not a date at all. Just a walk between friends. And a dog. No stress.

She shook her head at the ridiculous assumption she'd made about Noah. Who was a dog. Not a boyfriend. Not a son. A glorious, drooling, barking dog. She wanted to run to the gym and squeeze Natalie for clearing up her misconceptions. How could she have been so dumb?

Nope. Jenny shook her phone for emphasis. Now was not a time for self-reproach. She was rejoicing! A celebratory pint of ice cream would be perfect right now. Good thing she didn't have one in her freezer. She settled on dancing to loud music in her underwear instead.

***

What on earth made her think a casual walk in the park was any less nerve-wracking than an official date at a restaurant? Jenny glared at the various outfits arrayed on her bed. What was she supposed to wear? Her new gym clothes? Although they were new and fit well, they were still gym clothes.

How about jeans? How fast would they be walking anyway? Jenny had imagined a leisurely stroll, but what if Juliana had some power-walking in mind? She was, after all, in perfect shape. Walking at the speed of Jenny's bumbling run would be easy for the trainer.

Shorts? She looked down at her thick thighs. Maybe not.

"Ugh, this wasn't supposed to be so hard!" she wailed to her closet.

Across the room, her phone rang, sending a surge of panic through Jenny's entire body. It had to be Juliana calling to cancel. She must have changed her mind and didn't want to meet with her anymore. All because she couldn't decide on an outfit!

Stop being irrational, she told her brain. Although a canceled date did mean she'd be relieved from having to choose an outfit.

The phone kept ringing.

She should probably answer it.

The tension evaporated almost instantly when she saw who was actually calling.

"Hi, Mom."

"You've always had a good moral compass," her mother said without preamble. "If a good-looking man asks you on a date, is it okay to say yes?"

Jenny raised her eyebrows. "I don't see why not."

"How about if he's wearing a wedding ring?"

"Mom! Do you even have to ask?"

"He's really good-looking."

"Uh, no. You say no."

"Oh. Damn. I guess I should call him and cancel, then."

"Yes, Mom, you really should."

"But he has the Harrison Ford thing going on. You know I have a thing for the man."

"His wife probably has a thing for him too."

"Okay, yes, good point." Her mom sighed. "I wish your father was here. No one compared to him."

"I know." Jenny's heart went out to her lonely mother. Made her regret moving away. "Are you doing all right? Did you check out that gardening club I told you about?"

"What if it's full of old people? I'm not old, you know."

"Yes, I know, but maybe it's got some people your age. Maybe you can make some friends?"

"I guess it couldn't hurt to check it out."

"Hey, Mom? What's an appropriate outfit to wear on a casual, sort-of date at a park?"

"Ooh! You have a date?" Her mother squealed with joy. "Tell me all about her!"

"Remember the trainer I told you about?"

"The one with the boyfriend?"

"Turns out she has a dog, not a boyfriend."

Her mom squealed again, causing Jenny to pull the phone away from her ear. "This is so exciting, Jenny! You're going out with a hot trainer. You're going to have so much sex."

"Mom, stop," Jenny groaned. "It's a casual friend-date, not a Tinder hookup. And I need to decide on the right outfit first."

"Wear the lowest-cut thing you have," her mom said with authority.

"You're not listening."

"What does 'casual friend-date' even mean?"

"We're going to walk the dog in a park together."

Her mother made exaggerated yawning noises.

"Gee, thanks, Mom."

"Track pants."

"Excuse me?"

"Track pants are great for exercise or casual hanging out. Good ones give you a stylish, sporty vibe. You can wear lots of different tops with them."

"Mom, you are a genius."

"That's what I keep telling you."

Mom to the rescue again! Let's give her a vote. Despite her moral ambiguity. XD