His wife eyed him sternly from across the table. Understanding the cue, Lawrence raised his wine glass and cleared his throat. "Thank you all for joining us tonight. It's wonderful seeing you in a setting outside of the office. May we have more evenings like this and continue to collaborate as we do." They clinked their glasses together. Tonight's purpose was mainly about improving the personal relationships of his leadership team.

The atmosphere was light and enjoyable. The conversation flowed and revolved around non-work related matters, which was no small fit. Having their partners with them certainly helped to stir the conversation to different subjects. Xia and Vesta reported on their successes and frustrations with their social causes.

"...We've been working on introducing human involvement and real-life experiences in the education system. Children these days only learn by Xploring and high-velocity info projections. Not one real experience!" Xia said with contempt. "Research done over the last century shows it's leading to a lot less creativity and boldness of thought by younger generations." Vesta continued. Lawrence could relate, being responsible for what was supposed to be the most innovative company in existence. They could certainly use a boost of creativity. "But it's very frustrating. We're not getting any traction with the educational boards," she added.

"Speaking of frustrating. Galaxis, you must have been furious when Schafer voted against the automatic SI regulation renewal at the committee yesterday." Ed segued and stirred the conversation away from lighter matters. Dirk, who sat across the table from Ed just nodded with a frozen face. It was quite a surprise yesterday when Schafer threw a bomb into what was supposed to be a simple bureaucratic procedure. "I mean, just think of the optics when one of the CEOs votes against it. It could be dangerous," Ed continued. "I'm not going to pretend I know Schafer's motive in this," Dirk said, eyeing Lawrence. "But you can be sure AI development will not change anytime soon."

Vesta gave Lawrence another of her stern: do something looks. "Now, now, let's not bore everyone with such matters. Tonight isn't about work. Xia? What do you suggest should be done about our children's education system?" Vesta nodded in approval, and the conversation returned to its natural flow. Desserts and aperitifs began to flow in on the backs of the bustling drones.

After dinner, Cynthia, Dirk, and Lawrence stood inside his home office. They were admiring his liquor cabinet, which was in a sealed depression in the wall running from floor to ceiling. The clear shelves were laden with different bottles and special glasses. The centerpieces were whiskey and bourbon bottles Lawrence had acquired over the years. Distilled on Earth, they were worth a fortune. Both Dirk and Cynthia, whiskey enthusiasts themselves, eyed the small treasure eagerly. Most of the bottles were never opened, but the two he did try, were wonderful. He could still feel their rich and smooth taste flowing down his throat, warming his insides. It was difficult to ignore the number of credits each sip cost, though.

Lawrence considered pulling a bottle out to share with his guests when his son Armin and Dirk's daughter, Gliese, came running into the room, laughing and shouting. Their eyes were covered by visors, completely oblivious to the adults standing there.

Dirk eyed the cabinet with its expensive content as well as the other rich decorations Lawrence kept in the room. "Aren't you worried they might break something? Something expensive?" Dirk asked with a worried voice. "This cabinet's door is made from layered polymer nanocomposites. Pretty much nothing can break it. But you're right, of course. The room is locked at all times, and I'm the only one who can open it when there's no one inside. Now, come, let's go back, I'm sure our partners will soon wonder where we disappeared to."

******

Dall was still in the same storage room or whatever it was before it became his prison cell. Thankfully one of his capturers agreed to take off that horrible band that held his legs and caused him to lose feeling below his ankles. He was getting worried it might cause permanent damage. The pain from the kick he received was receding, but it still left a large dark bruise on his side. He ate some stale bars that were so bland it felt like eating silicon wafers, chewing slowly to give himself something to do. His only other possession was a plasses water bottle he'd been given. He had to ration his drinking as it could take a long time before someone would come in and give him another one.