Chapter Thirty-Five

Start from the beginning

As soon as Elliot and Noah noticed my appearance, their eyes snapped to my direction and widened in surprise.

"Nora? What are you doing down here?" Elliot was the first to speak, while Noah straightened up from hunching over the counter and playing with an empty glass. 

"I wanted to grab a snack." I stated dully.

"Do you want me to make you a sandwich?" Noah offered kindly.

I bit the inside of my cheek. Do not break your exterior! a voice hissed in my brain.

"I'd rather not get food poisoning, thank you very much." I lifted my chin up and scrunched my nose in playful disgust. And I watched as Noah rolled his eyes, breaking into a grin. 

"Yeah, she's good." He said to Elliot while turning around to head towards the sink. 

Elliot chuckled. "I see you're back to your old self." 

"Nothing ever changed. But enough about me, what have you guys been up to?" I limped my way towards the fridge, grabbing open one of its doors. I searched inside, and reached out for a bowl of fresh berries. When I shut back the door, I noticed Elliot eyeing Noah suspiciously.

"Nothing much. We were just grabbing some orange juice." Noah shrugged nonchalantly. 

I set my bowl on the counter, hopping on the stool and sighing as the weight was taken off my injured leg. "Oh, really?" I asked, eyeing them skeptically. "What about the past three days? Why were you guys in hiding? Plotting something?"

Elliot sighed. "Alright, enough, Nora. I know you heard us."

I frowned, feigning ignorance as I waited for them to come clean on their own. "Heard what?"

Noah rolled his eyes. "Come on, Nora."

Eventually I snapped, dropping the single blueberry held between my index and thumb back into its bowl. "Alright, I did! How could you hide something like that from me?" My voice rose an octave as my annoyance pushed through.

"You were practically bedridden!"

"And we knew you were sure to stop us."

"You're damn right, I would've!" 

Elliot sighed. "This plan wasn't even ours to begin with."

"Yeah, it wasn't. So take it up with your boyfriend." Noah mumbled.

My head snapped to him, a deep frown settling on my features. Elliot beat me to it as he smacked Noah on the back of his head, the loud tap echoing in the quiet of the room.

"Hey!" Noah frowned.

"Oh, grow up." I glared at Noah. "I can't believe you guys; do you not realize how badly Xavier could get hurt from this? He's facing a literal psycho!"

Elliot shook his head. "Don't worry about Xavier. He's way more powerful than you know. And he has his men by his side, nothing will go wrong."

"For us, that is." Noah finished.

"Wait, his men?" 

Noah rolled his eyes. "Well of course he wasn't going to single-handedly fight off one of the largest mafias in North America." He scoffed.

My eyes widened, my jaw loosening and nearly falling to the floor. I gaped at them in horror. How could I not have realized this earlier?

"What?" Elliot frowned in confusion, studying my expression.

"D-darius?"

They both went silent for a second, their eyes moving to one another. Elliot sighed, slightly nodding. "Yeah, we found out he's their right hand."