Molly's World-Chapter 4-When uneventful turns to surprise

Chapter 4-When uneventful turns to surprise

The next two weeks went by uneventfully. Only two things happened...

                One: My mom got me a job at the local grocery store, Freddy's Fruits. What a cheesy name, I know. Two: My mom also started me on piano lessons. Gayest thing I've ever heard. I don't even know how to play. But it's not like Mitch knows how to play guitar. Yeah, that's right; my mom has all of her children on music lessons. I'm doing piano, Mitch is doing guitar, Jon's doing drums, Adam is doing trumpet, and Tanner is learning how to play the bass. Apparently, Josh is too young to learn how to do any instruments.

                I just have one question; why? I've never had any hobbies and neither have my brothers. Mitch is the only one who's ever done an after school activity. He did basketball from the beginning of middle school and now does football. Well, did. Football at our new school doesn't start for another week or so. They wanted all of the seniors to get back into routine of school. So basically, I've got a week until there are tons of boys hanging at my house with Mitch. Great.

                "Molly, come on! I have to get to school!" Mitch yelled from downstairs, and I sighed before leaping out of my computer chair and shutting the laptop. I zipped up my red jacket and pulled my hair out of the hood and grabbed my keys. I slowly walked down the stairs, just to get on his nerves and he impatiently tapped his foot on the floor while shooting me a glare that could kill-if it were to somebody else. "Stop it."

                I smiled innocently. "Stop what?"

                He opened the door and held it open for me so that I could unlock the car. "Just hurry up."

                I pressed unlock on my keys and got into the driver's side. Mitch got in the passenger side and shut his door. "Are you gonna go?" He asked.

                "Put your seatbelt on," I told him and started the car. "You know, I think you should try to get your license."

                He sighed and slumped down in his seat, resting his feet on the dashboard.

                "Get your feet off the car!" I yelled at him and he jumped in surprise.

                ***

                "Molly Dorazil, pay attention."

                I snapped my head up, looking at my literature teacher, Mrs. Lawson. She had curly red hair that went down to her back. She was kind of old, fifty four. I don't know about you, but to me that's kind of old.

                "Sorry, mam," I told her and took my hood of my jacket down and sat up. I had fallen asleep in class. Again. Lately, that's been happening a lot. Ever since that one party, at god knows whose house that was, my sleeping schedule has been way out of whack. I wake up in the middle of the night sweating and hungry. Though, I've always been kind of hungry. It's a good thing I have a high metabolism.

                Mrs. Lawson shook her head and went back to teaching her lesson. I looked up at the clock and saw that we only had two minutes left in this class, so I just laid my head back down on the desk. I've been asleep the whole lesson, so what's the point in listening to the rest?

                Before I knew it, my eyes closed. And as soon as they closed, the bell rang. People scooted chairs back and rushed out of the class, eager to get away from Mrs. Lawson. I can't blame them; she's kind of weird. Once, I caught her staring at all of the kids out of her window. They were waiting for the bell to ring outside. I try to stay away from her as much as I can. So far, so good.

                "Watch it, Whore."

                I looked up at the person who had just said that. It was a girl that I've seen around school, but I don't have any classes with her. She had short blonde hair and flawless skin, geez.

                "Sorry," I told her and stepped out of her way. I really didn't want any drama this year. Way too much my junior year.

                "You better be," She snapped.

                What the hell?

                I made it through the rest of the day without any more trouble from the blonde girl. But now, I have to go to work. I started about two weeks ago, as I already said, and I'm not really a big fan of it. I mean, I don't hate my job, but it's just not fun. I work as one of the check out girls at the grocery store. I scan the barcodes, make the people pay, and put their materials in plastic or paper bags, whichever one they want. Like I said-boring.

                "Hey Molly," Chase said as soon as he saw me. He's an older guy. Not old, old, but a little older than me. He's twenty one, I'm seventeen.

                "Hi Chase," I said and turned my light on my cash register so that people knew my lane was open. "How's business today?"

                He shrugged and put a couple of five dollar bills into the cash register. "Kind of slow, but there was this one lady who was insane! She kept throwing her Clementine's at me and saying that she had to get home and water her hairspray. Whatever that means."

                "Really?" I laughed.

                "Yeah, she was really old though. But still funny."

                I smiled and the bell of the store rang as a customer came in. And I couldn't believe it. It was Dakota. "What are you doing here?" I asked him.

                He grinned and walked over to my aisle. He grabbed a pack of bubble gum and put it on the black strip. I sighed and scanned it, then turned back to him.

                "Seventy five cents," I told him and he handed me the money.

                "So you work here, do you?" He asked me, already knowing the answer.

                "You're turning into a smartass," I said. "Stop hanging out with my brother."

                He laughed and put his hand in his pocket after grabbing the gum from my hand. "Babe, I was already a smartass."

                "Probably."

                "So," He said and raised his eye brows. "Are you doing anything tonight? I want to take you to the beach."

                I sighed. "You're funny."

                "I'm not joking, Molly. I want to take you on a date," He looked me right in the eyes and my breath caught half way up my throat. Wait, what?

                "Why?"

                He put his hand on mine, but surprisingly I didn't pull mine back. "Because you're beautiful and I want to know more about you."

                I smiled at him. "We'll see. Give me your phone number and I'll call you with my answer, kay?"

                He smirked, god I loved that smirk. "Sounds good."

                He gave me his number.