Chapter 33

Scott parked in the almost empty parking lot of the old Amalgamated Cast Parts Plant, got out of his car, and walked toward the building. The hard rain drove into the asphalt around him, and the halogen lot lights cast an unnatural illumination on the wet surface. He did not notice anyone else around, the only other car in the lot being a long black Lincoln Continental. He walked toward the main door of the abandoned business, his senses on alert. He reached for the handle, pulled the door open, and stepped inside. "Hello? Dawn? Anyone?" Scott called, his voice echoing in the spacious lobby.

"Well, hello, Scott," Jack's voice came from the shadows. "We're so glad you could make it. So is Dawn. Not that she's especially happy to see you, but I think she'd rather not die horribly."

"Where is she?"

Jack stepped out of the shadows, followed by Bill and Sheila. "First things first. Why don't you take off that jacket? My, that's a nice one, looks kinda like mine. You've got taste now. I'd like to think that was my doing. You can just toss it on that couch, over by the window."

Scott took off his leather jacket and tossed it on the brown Naugahyde sofa. Jack motioned to Sheila, who moved to greet Scott.

"So, you're Scott Campbell, huh?" she asked. "I don't see what the fuss is all about. Anyway, put your arms out to the sides."

Sheila then began patting Scott down, searching for possible weapons. It seemed much more than a cursory frisk to Scott, since he felt that Sheila's search technique was a little too intimate, especially when it came to his crotch. "Hey! Watch it!"

"Well, honey, you sure got something down there, and I need to be thorough."

"Jack, what's with the TSA treatment?"

"Funny you should mention that," Jack said. "Sheila here was—still is—an employee of the Transportation Security Administration. So she's skilled, ain't that right, darlin'?"

"He's clean," Sheila declared.

"Good. Then let us escort Mr. Campbell back to see his little girlfriend, shall we?"

The three vampires walked Scott down a long, dark hallway that led from the lobby past various empty offices and down onto the factory floor. Old crates and stacked pallets gave way to open floor—and Dawn, still attached to the old wooden chair with flex ties, her back toward the hallway.

"Dawn!" Scott shouted as he ran to her.

"Scott!" she cried as Scott dropped to his knees next to the chair, embracing the frightened young woman.

"I'm so sorry, Dawn. I'll get you out of here. I promise; I'll get you out."

"Scott, what's going on? First, these guys kidnap me and then I'm here, and these other guys burst into flames, and then they tell me about vampires, and this Jack guy tells me it's all about you. I don't understand this—"

"No, no, no!" Jack said. "I hate to interrupt your happy little reunion, but it's not all about Scott! It's all about me! Get it right."

"Okay, Jack, you've got me. Now let her go," Scott demanded.

"Let her go? Oh, I don't know. You two look so happy together. You happy that your boyfriend is here to rescue you, darlin'?"

"He's not my boyfriend. We're just friends," Dawn said.

"Ow! Friend-zoned! Geez, that's gotta hurt! Dang, Scott, what is wrong with you? You got that vampire charm, and you haven't popped that cherry yet? I mean, that is a fine piece of ass right here!"