Chapter 51 - Alex (Part 2)

She didn't catch many rumours on the road the second day. Too busy contemplating how she would deal with both the pirates and the demands of the royal family. There was no doubt that she would choose Seb if she had to, but deep down, she didn't want to choose. They had to coexist. Complement each other.

Also, she rather saw herself back on a ship than stuck in Sundale. Seb would have to understand that she couldn't stay. He would have to convince the Queen if his aunt didn't believe her betrothal to Pan.

But would he do that for her?

If he had to decide between her and his family, who would he pick?

The white towers of Sunstone Castle appeared like a beacon at sea. Unable to miss. A welcoming sight that they were still heading the right way, but with nervousness churning in her stomach. Other than aboard the Kraken or the barge that had carried her to the Greenlands, she couldn't lay low.

By the harbour, even before entering the side gate, she caught sight of a tall half-Jade Islandic Serjeant. His cornrow braids so long he had tied them together in a knot. He was part of Nick's patrol. Her heart leapt with joy. Perhaps her favourite booklover was around as well.

She waited for people to pass, for merchants to receive instructions from the Serjeant before entering the city.  Shouts went back and forth as ships docked and cargo was unloaded. A man was running behind his pigs.

No small straw-haired boy.

She approached the Serjeant. "I'm a friend of Nick. Do you know where he is?"

He glanced at papers that a man in long robes pushed into his hands, then nodded at him. His eyebrow went upwards as he scrutinised her. "If you were really his friend, you'd know he has left Sundale a while ago."

Alex swallowed. "Old friend, then. I've been away for some time."

"Brought some relatives with you from the Islands?" He visibly clenched his jaw. "Where are you lot from? Socota? Mora? Hamra?"

"Malva," Captain Ilona said. "We have a meeting with your King."

The Serjeant's lip curled downwards. "You don't look as though you have an appointment with His Majesty."

"I'm friends with Nick and Prince Sebastian. King Thomas and Queen Crystal are my guardians. I'm Alex. I need to get into the castle."

"You're the girl who—" He paused. A glimmer of recognition in his eyes. "I can't help you b—"

"Please?" Alex begged.

"But... seek Patience within you, Miss Alex..." he continued. "There's a new Captain in town. Stephen... if you tell the truth, he should recognise you. He'll get you in."

"Where can I find him?"

The Serjeant looked over her, his blue eyes moving rapidly. He put two fingers to his lips and blew a shrill whistle.

"Stephen... Captain... Over here," he shouted. Then he grabbed her shoulder. "Today's your lucky day, girl."

The long-haired Lieutenant—now Captain—approached them with an atypical stern look on his face. He held his arms open, gesticulating, "What?"

She remembered Stephen as the guard with whom she could have a laugh; who rolled his eyes when Seb threw a tantrum and picked sides in debates over dinner. He always knew where everybody was in the castle. Nick's brain capacity, but not as serious or book-smart as him.

Then the expression on Stephen's face changed into a smile. "Alex?" he yelled right away. "Alex, is that you? You've returned."

"With company." The Serjeant grinned.