18 • behind the scenes

(I think I was high when I wrote chapter 2 lol, here's a more detailed and accurate one)

The topic for today's chapter would be advertising. 

Most of us had done it BUT the question is, are you doing it right?

There are only two types of advertising I had seen here in Wattpad. Let me know if I miss something lol.

First, we have "Dora the Advertiser" then, the all famous "Read Trade"

The former is when you go on a copy-paste spree. This is when you go to other users' message boards (exploring like fucking Dora) and posting a message consisting of mainly: "Hey! Please check out the book I'm working on... I would really like that yadda yadda."

Above all, LOOK at the user's bio before you go posting on their message board.

Some, including me, include a cute little phrase that says: "not accepting reading requests" or something of that sort.

But I suppose that doesn't really have an effect on some of us because you have NO idea how many times I got people asking for me to read their book *throws phone across the room"

For a writer, you sure don't know how to read. Geez.

So again, if you're going to do #1.5 then ALWAYS look at their bio. If you're lucky, you'll stumble upon users who are looking for new books to read, that's the only time when you'll do it.

Because, and I'm sure a lot of you guys agree, requests on message boards are pathetic and they look like damn trash. I delete those as soon as I see them, okay?

Sorry for sounding soo mean. Please excuse my mood rn.

BUT. Let's say someone follows you, then you can use that to your advantage. Instead of just thanking them for the follow, you can also squeeze in the request ;) Just make sure your wording is right. It works for me!

Oh and let's not forget 1.5. This is when people go to other user's books to FREAKING ADVERTISE THEIR OWN BOOK.

It's disrespectful. Period. 

Do you want other people to do the same with yours? Hell no.

Then STOP.

-

The latter, "Read Trade", is basically 'read for read'. Pretty obvious from the name itself. 

This is when you'll ask the author to read your book in exchange of you doing the same with theirs. This is actually good. 

But the problem here is that there are A LOT of people who don't take it seriously and just does it for the sake of getting reads and votes. It's damn hard to find genuine users who'll do it properly.

If you're one of them then—

Dishonor on you, dishonor on your family, dishonor on your cow.

Please. Authors help each other so don't be such an ass.

-

Oh and another way ro get your work out there is to join BOOK CLUBS. There are a ton in Wattpad and they all have their own mechanics but they mostly revolve around 'users in groups reading each others works' (that's what i think anyway).

Not only will you be able to get feedback on your work but also there's a big chance that you'll get Wattpad friends too!! And hopefully, ones that last.

-

The bottom line here is 'it's actually fine to advertise because how else will you be able to get your work out there? Just do it the right way.'