A Deserter Once, a Deserter Twice

The cold stone beneath my feet and that usual, enchanted chill upon the air, I pulled my robes more closely around me. The College bathing chamber had eased some of the aches from our encounter at the embassy, even if my jaw was developing quite the bruise. I only hoped that giving Teldryn some time alone would have cooled his temper. He'd been in such a strange mood since we arrived back at the College.

When I had confirmed with Urag that this 'Calcelmo' had been who I thought he was, I assumed it would have brightened Teldryn's spirit. Urag even mentioned he may have the altmer's location logged somewhere in the library. Instead, Teldryn seemed only more determined to be distant and agitated. He was tired, I reasoned, and so was I. 

So, with mind to give us both some quiet and space to reflect, I had made for the bathing chambers.

As I made my way back down the winding stone stairs, it was Drevis who met me on his way up. 

"Ah! Good, there you are..." he said, a tad flustered and lifting a folded piece of parchment into the air. "I have this for you... I hadn't wanted to disturb your bath and so..."

He placed the parchment into my hand as he spoke, so lightly I hardly realised it was within my grip.

"What is this?" I asked, assuming it to be a mage-thing, and so naturally apprehensive.

"Your charming friend asked me to give it to you... before he left."

I creased my brow, too tired to fully comprehend what Drevis had just said. Finding no further explanation accompanying Drevis' words, I opened the letter.

Vee,

I knew this would happen. I no longer want you involved in this. Any of this. You should not have been in the first place. I've spoken to Urag, and now I know where I am going. I am discharging myself from your service, and keeping you safe in the process. You belong at the College, and at least this way Tamlen will know where to find you when he shows up.

Teldryn.

My brow creased further as I read the hastily written letter, "That son of a silt strider..."

I found myself sliding past Drevis and continuing on to my chamber with a new determination. Drevis was close behind me as I entered into the alcove.

"Are... is every thing all right Eva?" he asked, with genuine concern. I pushed the note back into his hand, and without word made my way to my wardrobe. Pulling the doors open, I was surprised to find Teldryn's chitin armor still stashed away within, and yet, none of his other gear nor knapsack was in sight. So, he had gone. He had chosen to leave. After all of the efforts we had so far gone to, and he assumed himself capable with out me. I was hurt. Glancing back toward my bed, I reached for the leather armor I had purchased from Enthir.

"Oh... well if there was any doubt that he cared for you when last you were here..." Drevis began, having read the note for himself. As he looked up he caught sight of me getting into my armor, and brought the letter to the level of his eyes. City elves could be so reserved. "What ... Eva what are you doing?"

"What does it look like? I'm going after him..."

Drevis seemed about to say something, but as I secured the leather about my waist with a slight wince, I asked "How long ago did he leave? I will catch up to him."

"It was not long ago but... Eva, you are injured. And I agree with Teldryn, you belong here at the college." It was said with sincerity, but I was already riled by Teldryn's haste in leaving.

Buckling my waist and reaching for my gauntlets, I sighed, "Master Drevis, with respect... I do not belong any where."

---

The icy winds met the skin of my face as the college gates creaked to a close behind me. The gale blew across the bridge into town, and with it, a thin flurry of snow. Part of me almost longed to be back in the warmth of the bathing room, but I needed to catch up to Teldryn. He would be heading for the city of Markarth, according to Urag. And if I couldn't keep up with him, it could be two, maybe three days travel. I pulled my cloak straight about my shoulders, and checked my bow was secure across my back. It was a relief to have it with me once more.

The sea crashed heavily against the rocks far below, and as I took my careful steps across the crumbling stone bridge toward the town, I suddenly heard the strange, echoing ring of a bell.

With barely anything left of Winterhold, I knew it did not have a temple, and the docks did not survive the storm that had destroyed the town either. Yet, my eye was drawn instinctively to the sound, somewhere far below me.

A ship.

Amongst the thrashing waters of the Sea of Ghosts, beneath the bridge to the College, a large ship - and approaching it, a smaller shore boat. My mind barely had time to put two and two together, before the small crowd of figures on board the ship were running to the edge to welcome the boat, and to help drag some one onto the deck...

Teldryn.

I wanted to roll my eyes, but they were set upon the scene unfolding on the ship. Between the flurries of snow and the distance, it was hard to make out - yet it seemed they pushed him back and forth somewhat, and there was a certain merriment about the movement of his captors. I could make out the brown of his armor, the armor from Enthir, and found myself already holding my bow in my hand. 

It was instinctive, and just what had I planned to do with it? Eight arrows in my quiver, and there were certainly more than eight on board. And what of the gales of wind across the distance between myself and the ship crew?

No. No, I had to get down there. I glanced toward town, and back toward the college. The bell rang out again below, and when my eyes returned to the ship it had already began to turn slowly against the waves.

"Well," I sighed, immediately turning into a run back toward the college, "When the options grow thin... any one of them will do..."