Chapter One

The crisp fall air felt good against my skin as I sat underneath an oak tree in my backyard. The leaves were a golden brown and blended with the grass nicely. Was this how it felt to be an ordinary teenager? I wouldn't know, as I could never be one. In my entire life, I had wanted to be a typical girl. I can play the part, but I couldn't be one. I would look in the mirror and see just your average jane. I have long, wavy, chestnut brown hair that reaches to my chest. My eyes were a striking emerald green, which became my favorite feature. My nose was cute, just like a button. My mother used to poke my nose when I was a child. My lips are light pink, full and plump. I also have light freckles underneath my eyes, which I adore. I am five feet, eight inches tall. My height came from my father. I see myself as average, but I'm curvy in certain places.

You would think I would have no issues making friends, but that would require me to go outside. I haven't left my house since I've been on this planet. My mother, Susan, has me homeschooled. As I got older, my "gift" started to appear more; which meant things got dangerous. She became determined to keep me safe after an incident happened in the past. My mother is my best friend, but I want someone my age to gossip about life. Isolation has been lonely, and I want to make friends. The town of Springwell has a small population. There was only one school that served all ages. It divides into three sections for each age group. I would be on the top floor, meant for high school students. If only my mother would go for the idea. I know it wouldn't hurt to ask, but she would turn it down quickly. If only my father were still around.

I've heard stories about my father from my mother, mainly negative. Before my aunt disappeared, she told me that he was the reasonable one. He knew how to convince my mother to let me explore when I was a child. When he died, that's when my mother went cold. Her personality changed as she was outgoing and kind. My mother always talked negatively about him, which made me grow to hate him. I hate him for making my mother turn cold. I remember when my mother was happy and in love. I wish that I could have her back. My mother and I look similar, the only difference being our hair. Her hair is chestnut brown with streaks of silver.

"Breanna! Dinner is ready!" my mother shouted. I let out a heavy sigh and stood up, giving my legs a chance to recover from sitting so long. I brushed off the dirt from my jeans and started to walk inside. The sun had begun to set, which meant nightfall would approach soon. Since it was a clear sky, the stars would be out tonight. I could sneak out later tonight to stargaze. I opened the door and walked into the kitchen to see dinner. The smell of roast chicken and cooked vegetables enveloped my nose. My mother was setting the table with plates and cutlery. It was a rare occasion that my mother set the table. "Take a seat, honey. I have some exciting news to share with you!" she exclaimed. I walked over to my chair and sat down. Immediately, my mother began to serve dinner.

"What's going on?" I asked out of curiosity. Whenever it was exciting news, she meant it was exciting for her. She sat down after plating the food and looked at me. "I know that I've been hard on you with school lately. So, this year, I'm taking it easy with you," she said. I pushed the food around on my plate with my fork. I wanted to tell my mother about Springwell Academy. It would be a great way to expand my horizons. "Mom, I wanted to talk to you about that," I said. She looked at me with her light green eyes. "I wanted to ask if I could enroll at Springwell Academy," I added. The fork in her hand dropped on her plate, her gaze sending shivers down my spine. "The public school in town?" she asked. I nodded my head, being too nervous to talk. She let out a sigh as she placed her hand on the table. "Breanna, your gift is dangerous. We don't know what you're capable of," she explained. It was my turn to put my fork down. "I never had an issue with my gift since we discovered I have it," I explained. She stood up from the table and came closer to me. "If you have an episode in public, it can be dangerous! Do you remember what happened to your aunt?" she asked. I looked down at my plate, losing my appetite. I knew that I was going to lose this battle. "I know what happened to her. I know it's dangerous, but I can't hide at home forever," I explained. She looked away from me as if to think about the idea. Maybe there was a small piece of kindness left inside her. "I think it's still too dangerous, Breanna. How will I know you're safe?" she asked. She had a point, but how will I know how to protect myself if it happens? 

"Mom, I will be fine. I'm sixteen, and I need to learn to take care of myself," I replied. Another sigh left her lips as she sat back down, folding her hands into her lap. "If I let you do this, you will need to text or call me if anything happens," she said. I looked up at her with excitement in my eyes. "Really?!" I exclaimed. Her look softened as she met my gaze. "I will give the principal a call in the morning to get you enrolled, but if something happens, it's back to homeschool," she said firmly. I got up and wrapped my arms around her broad shoulders. "Thank you!" I exclaimed. I could feel the excitement roll through my body, sending goosebumps. "I mean it, Breanna. It'll be back to homeschool if something changes," she said. I nodded my head as I went back to my dinner.

My head filled with thoughts of excitement and worry. I was excited that I was going to be an ordinary teenager. The worry I felt was seeing other teenagers that weren't like me. I was worried about my gift being seen by the other students. I didn't want to go back to homeschool. This will be my first taste of freedom since I discovered my gift. There is no way I am going to ruin my only chance. After I finished my dinner, I took my plate to the sink and washed it. I debated going outside to look at the stars, but I decided to call it a night early. "Goodnight, Mom! I'm going to head to bed," I said. She nodded her head and looked back at her book. Reading had become a past time for her.

I walked into my bedroom and sat on the side of my bed. As of tomorrow, I'd officially be a student at Springwell Academy. A dream come true, if you will. I changed out of my jeans and T-shirt and replaced it with a pair of pajama shorts and a tank top. I pinned up my hair into a loose bun and climbed into bed. I stared at the ceiling, letting my mind drift into the thoughts of school. I knew that I'd be the new kid, but it would be the biggest change of my life. At least, the second biggest change since I found out I was an Age-Shifter.