Little Man

"I can't believe your mom is trusting me. God I can't screw this up." I glance at the boy in the passenger seat who seems to be buried off in my phone.

"Yeah I can't believe it either. Mom always gets groceries." The boy looks at me as my phone vibrates. "It's mom. She sent the list."

"Okay we're almost at the store, can you text her that?" With a nod, tiny fingers tap on the screen.

Regina is making pasta for dinner and finally trusted me to help. Not with cooking, my track record for torching food has dampened the brunettes trust with me and food. Which I don't blame her. "What's on the list kid?"I ask as we pull up to the little store about 10 miles from Henry's school, and about 5 from Regina's house.

"Rotini noodles, meatballs, ground beef, prego sauce, provolone cheese, mozzarella. Ooh! Moms making rotini casserole!"

"Yeah I'm excited she says it's her favorite!" We swiftly make it into the store and grab a cart.

As we pass through isles I begin to realize everyone was watching us. Deciding to ignore it, I simply encourage Henry to stay close. "Hey kid, wunna ride in the basket?" I give a slight wink as the kid bobs his head eagerly.

Once he hops in I have him point out the ingredients. A few minutes pass before a man appears at the end of the walkway. The boys eyes widen and looks at me. Silver shoulder length hair traced his tailored suit, and an almost sinister smile worn like a mask. The figure begins to walk towards us so I decide to get in between him and Henry. "Good afternoon miss Swan, Henry." I furrow my eyebrows at the man.

"Hi Mr.Gold.." the boy says with his head down.

"How do you know my name?" I ask ignoring his greeting.

"I know everybody in this town dearie." The old man sticks out his hand for me to shake.

"Don't shake.." Henry whispers and I do as he asks.

"Well that's cool, we're gunna go now." I give an awkward smile before pushing the cart and walking away.

——————————————————————————

"Mom!" I can't help but smile at my son's voice.

Turning to my left I see the blonde with groceries, closing the door with her foot and my son helping with a bag.

"Hey love. How was school?" With almost a hop Henry steps up the entryway steps. A faint smile is returned from the blonde yet I can sense concern. "It was good we're learning about Shakespeare! We bumped into Mr.Gold at the store. He knows Emma!" My eyes widen but soon school my face.

I look at Emma as she quickly set down the bags. "He knew me, but I-I don't think I know him." She states blankly staring at me.

"Henry dear, go change out of your school clothes so you can help make dinner." The boy nods contented and hands me the bag he was holding and his lunch box.

My eyes follow Henry up the stairs before I move further into the kitchen out of view. "You don't know him, he's robins best friend.. also his lawyer." I empty out the Star Wars lunch box as Emma stands dumbfounded. "He's probably trying to find a reason to take- Henry away... or until he bullies me until I get back with him. And quite frankly Robin doesn't bluff."

———————————————————————————

"Why does he know my name?" I ask the brunette who seemed far too calm for the situation.

Her body Language is calm, her face cold, her eyes hard. She was the woman who banned me from school. "You we're here for dinner, Robin told him." The teachers tone revealing that this is a reoccurring problem. "You will eat with us but then I'm getting you an Uber home, or wherever.. you wish."

"But I thought I was staying here this weekend?" Regina begins setting out the ingredients and collecting the bags, her eyes actively avoiding my sight. "Regina I'm talking to you." I snap which immediately catches the brunettes attention. "Either you tell me what fuck is happening or we can eat in silence then I leave when Henry goes to bed."

"Excu-"      "I promised Henry we'd read a chapter or Romeo and Juliet before he went to bed." I press which causes the teacher to hold her breath.

The room goes silent, the only noise present was small footsteps down the stairs. We stand there staring waiting for the other to speak only to result in a cold stare and stiff posture. Regina signs for 'you are fucked.' Soon the kid runs into the kitchen with a bright smile. Almost instantaneously the teacher returns the smile and puts her arms out to stop Henry from passing her. "Who's ready to make some pasta?" The brunette yells as Henry raises his hand as far as he can.

The feeling of warm orbs on me I see teacher slightly tilt her head towards the boy cueing me. "Oh I am! I've never tried it I'm excited." I slap a for your potential parents smile and realize I'll have to fake it for the next hour or until I can talk to Regina.