5. let's get lost

°
     °
°

chapter five

           "YOU'RE NOT GOING," Diana told her brother

           "YOU'RE NOT GOING," Diana told her brother. She'd overheard his entire conversation with Dustin, who wanted Lucas to meet him and Steve Harrington in a junkyard. Had their mission not been to find a creature from another dimension, she would've pretended not to hear the conversation.

He sucked his teeth as he began throwing things into his worn backpack. "You can't stop me... unless you had a vision about this." He waited for her to tell him she had seen something, but she couldn't. She should've just searched for something. Diana was a lot of things, but a liar wasn't one of them. "Alright then."

"I don't need visions to know what a shit idea this is," Diana seethed, tugging agitatedly at her jean jacket. She'd been doing that a lot since she left Will's house yesterday. She hadn't gone with them to help Hopper because she would've just been in the way. From what Mike told her, Will wasn't doing any better, and he was now in that Godforsaken lab hoping for a cure. Diana couldn't go there—no, she wouldn't go there.

"Language—"

She interrupted him. "This stuff is serious Lucas, if you die, you die. This isn't just another game of Dungeons and Dragons. You can't just try again tomorrow."

"As if losing El wasn't enough of a warning," Lucas said, fury creeping into his voice like the chill creeping into the first fall breeze.

Diana flinched. "I'm just worried." She refrained from mentioning any of her thoughts on Eleven's 'death'. "You don't know what I saw at Will's."

"That's because you won't tell me." He threw his bag over his shoulder. "I'm leaving now."

"No you aren't," Diana said, gaining some resolve.

"Diana, you cannot stop me—"

She interrupted him with a shake of her head. "You're not going without me."

°°°

"Did you think it was a good idea to bring her?" Diana whispered quite loudly to Lucas, her eyes darting to Max.

She saw Lucas's hands tighten on his bicycle's handle's. "She's my friend and—"

"You two know I can hear you, right?" Max rolled her eyes, continuing to look straight ahead. Diana stumbled over a large stick, but caught herself. She hated the wilderness, and this was proving to be a bigger mistake than she'd anticipated. She probably should've worn a heavier jacket, or styled her hair in a way that covered her ears, not a loose bun. She could feel the coldness that tonight would hold as if it was already here. Or maybe it was the lingering effects of what she'd felt when she looked into Will's mind.