Chapter 13: Be Fine

He stepped down,
Trying not to look at her,
As if she were the sun,
Yet he saw her as the sun,
Even without looking.

He stepped down,Trying not to look at her,As if she were the sun,Yet he saw her as the sun,Even without looking

J A M E S

"Where the fuck is she?" I mutter to myself angrily as I glare down at the phone.

It rings, and rings, and rings- and then it goes to fucking voicemail. Again.

'Hi, you've reached me! And by me, I mean Annabeth Evans! Sorry, I can't take your call right now, but please leave a mess-'

I nearly throw my phone aside as I hang up.

Fifteen fucking minutes. She was fifteen minutes late.

Now, this might seem like I was being dramatic, but that was because she was never late. She had only been late once- because she couldn't find earrings to match her outfit or some stupid shit like that.

She was always at least ten minutes early- and she had assured me, quite insistently, that she'd leave extra early so she could walk the distance in time or so she could catch one of the early buses.

Technically, that meant she was nearly half an hour behind the time she would have usually turned up at.

I run a hand through my hair frustratedly.

It was getting dark and cold too, from what I noticed when I glanced outside. The Town Square was practically empty at this point, except for a few meandering people.

"Can I get you something?" the waitress, who had greeted me a little too enthusiastically when I came in, says. From the corner of my eyes, I can see her lean closer as she lifts a hand to touch me- but I push my chair back and stand up before she can.

"You're leaving?" she asks stupidly when I sling my bag over my shoulder as if I hadn't ignored her the first time she spoke to me, "Uh, do you, maybe want to grab din-"

I step out of the diner before she can finish the sentence. 

At the moment, that seemed like a better option than telling her to shut the fuck up.

The only thing illuminating the cobblestones of the Town Square was the dim light of the streetlamps- because dusk had already started to set in. 

I look around the Square- hoping that perhaps the little idiot got lost, or was at another shop because she got distracted since both those options were very plausible- but nope.

There was absolutely no sign of her.

I didn't know whether to be annoyed or worried. And after five whole seconds of considering it, I decided to be annoyed. Definitely annoyed- because this little shit ditched me.