18.1 | Legends Long Forgotten

Brilliant daylight spilled into Viktor's penthouse, and Lu marveled at the floor-to-ceiling windows. Apparently, the Rogue Minister had installed a special kind of glass that allowed natural light in but didn't cause discomfort for the sensitive eyes of Serafi. It must have cost a small fortune.

Lu savored the warmth of it on her skin. She'd always envied Nefili for their resilient bodies, their ability to bask in sunlight for hours and hours without worrying about breaking out in hives.

"Will someone tell me what this is about?"

Saran Maksimova's voice yanked her attention back to the spacious, modern living room of the apartment. The Winter Wolf lounged on a couch, her skin like dusted gold as it contrasted with the white material.

"Not until Misha and the High Keeper arrive," was all Lu said. Saran grunted, her brown eyes sliding to Jade, who stood next to Lu, peering at the city that hugged the base of a mountain. There was enough suspicion in Saran's gaze for Lu to add, "They'll be here soon."

At least, she hoped. It had already been fifteen minutes since Lu, Jade, Nika, and Ren had arrived at the lavish apartment, having been summoned by Misha and High Keeper Steele to discuss the events at Hekate's Cauldron two days ago. And, more importantly, to pry from Misha's cousin the truth of her mysterious blade. But, until Steele was present to oversee the "interrogation," Lu and her companions had been ordered not to say a word about their findings.

Her focus drifted to the couch across from Saran, where Nika and Ren sat in conversation. His brawny arm lay across the pillows into which she leaned, and an invisible force seemed to pull them together. Lu couldn't catch any distinct words or phrases, but there was something intimate about their hushed tones and close proximity that she felt the urge to look away. Ren's eyes harbored an uncharacteristic brightness, despite the injured leg currently propped on the coffee table. And after witnessing that kiss, Lu was almost certain that the rift between them had finally been stitched back together.

A bittersweet feeling bloomed inside her. She was happy for her sister-friend, but watching them conjured memories of Elliot. Of the shadow he'd left on her heart.

Scuffling footsteps echoed through the apartment before she could dwell on it further, and heartbeats later, Misha and Steele emerged from a hallway that lead to the elevator.

Jade tore away from the sprawling cityscape and muttered, "Finally."

"Thank you for coming," Steele announced, giving a sweeping survey of the room. If she was impressed by the opulence of it, she gave no indication of it. Once her eyes landed on Nika and Ren, she said, "Romanovich. I heard we almost lost you. Have you seen a medic yet?"

Ren shook his head. "I'm fine."

"Good. Then you won't be opposed to telling me all about it later." She glanced around the room. "The rest of you, too. As far as the Ministry knows, the events at the hedgewitch's shop never happened. But I still want your unofficial statements."

"Why keep it quiet?" Nika asked, eyes narrowing. "Don't you need to be on your best behavior or risk losing control of the Vigil?"

"We're at war. My duty as a High Keeper is to ensure the safety of North America's Daemonstri community, and the way I see it, the people in this room are the vanguard of that battle. The Prime Minister would demand to interview everyone involved, tip off the Fellowship of Mizelle Mitra's location, and probably place all of you under house arrest for unauthorized contact with humans and Volkari. And then there's the use of magic on Miss Lazarov's part, as well your mere existence, Nika. I don't have time for politics and bureaucracy. That is why I'm keeping this quiet."