Ready As I'll Ever Be

The grave was empty.
They couldn't find the dead body.
Sources said he was cataclysmed. And was turned into ash before his back hit the ground when Midnight threw him.

*

Tikki wiped the stray tear that fell out of her eyes.

"Why did this happen to Marinette!? Where did she go wrong!? She was a wonderful Ladybug. More importantly, a wonderful person. Why do all bad things happen to good people!?" Tikki cried as she flew across Paris trying to find out a suitable temporary holder.

She froze and turned above as she felt someone flying above her.

It was Marinette. Carrying Adrien.

Towards the Eiffel tower.

She was broken. Mentally and physically.

Tikki hated to see her like this.

But she knew she had to save her.

So, she finally wiped her tears.

She finally reached her house.

"Alya Cesaire. I need your help."

Alya gasped in shock as she recognised the Ladybug kwami.

"But what happened to Ladybug!? Isn't she supposed to fight Midnight!?" Alya asked.

"I'm not supposed to tell you this. Do you recall any of your recent conversations with Marinette?" Tikki asked.

"Yes. It was when school was about to start. Marinette called me and told me she wouldn't be able to make it cause she was sick. But why do you want to talk about Mari?" Alya asked.

"Was there anything strange about her voice?" Tikki asked desperately.

"Yes. Her voice sounded raspy. As if-" Alya realised and froze.

"As if, as if she was crying." Alya said.

"Please! Don't tell me Midnight is-"

"Marinette. And what's even worse, is that Marinette can't fight alongside Cat Noir like this." Tikki said silently hoping the brunette would catch on and realise that-

"Marinette... Is La-adybug." Alya stated as tears formed in her eyes.

"And, she has been akumatized." Alya cried.

"Yes. We don't have a lot of time. Cat Noir might not be able to fight her alone. She's too powerful. Partly because of the miraculous."

"What do I say?" Alya wiped her tears. And vowed to save her best friend.

"Spots on."

"Alright. Tikki, Spots on." Alya transformed.

"Don't worry, Mari. I'll save you." Alya said to herself.

The first thing Ladybug saw was Chat Noir cornered up against the iron walls of the tower.

And Midnight reaching out for his ring.

"Not on my watch!"

He recognised the yoyo all too well.

"Ladybug's... yoyo!"

"Oh, so Tikki finally found herself a shiny new plaything! Let's see who the new bug is!" Midnight smirked.

"Marinette! Please! Snap out of it! It's us! Chat Noir and- and Rena! Please!" Alya cried.

"Rena!? Did Tikki really just gave away my earrings to you!? Alya!? Ha!" Midnight laughed when she experienced a throbbing pain in her stomach.

She clutched her stomach and kneeled on the floor.

Her head shot up.

Her eyes went from black to the usual blue.

"Alya- sorry-" was all the real Marinette could say as she was again overpowered by Midnight.

"Enough of this!"

"What happened!?" Alya asked Chat Noir who snapped out of his trance.

"You're her best friend."

"What happened to Midnight!?" She snapped.

"That's Marinette. Fighting. She's struggling more than any of us. We have to save her." Chat said.

"You're right. Lucky Charm!"

*

They fought. For an entire day, they fought. Hitting her, dodging her attacks. Trying to verbally persuade her to come back. Facing improvement. Marinette was growing strong.

Then weak too.
Weak because she used too much of her strength.

Time and time Adrien would cry and apologize and confess how dumb he was and how much he loved her.

Only to have Midnight gone for a second. Replaced by Marinette whose voice would quake.

Shake because she was desperate.

Desperate to break out of Midnight.

Chat Noir couldn't bear to see her like this. He swore he would get her out.

He would save her.

Little did they know that by the time Marinette regained control, she would be a second too late to avoid a disaster.