Drowning in the Deep Blue

Depuis le début

Finally, there were two days left until the five champions would be delving underwater. Iris was enjoying spending time with her brother and Hermione that day until a certain piece of information found its way to her.

"Harry you told me literally weeks ago that you had figured the clue out! The task is two days from now! How are you supposed to figure anything out in that time?" Iris whisper-yelled, trying not to draw attention.

Harry groaned, leaning through an archway window on the bridge they were standing on. He stared out at the Hogwarts grounds that bled into the Forbidden Forest with a grimace on his face.

"Yeah, yeah. You've figured it all out then?"

Iris gave him a look, "As a matter of fact, I have."

From his other side, Hermione turned to Harry, pursing her lips, "You are trying to figure this egg out, aren't you?"

Harry looked at her, irritated, "What's that supposed to mean?"

The two girls exchanged a look. They could admit that they were frightened of what was to come, especially if Harry had absolutely go game plan and no idea what he was walking into.

"I mean these tasks are supposed to test you, in the most brutal way they're almost cruel. And um, I'm scared for you. You got by the dragon mostly on nerve... I'm not sure it's going to be enough this time," Hermione answered.

A distant shout caught the attention of the three, "Iris!"

The said girl turned to see her boyfriend standing at the end of the tunnelled bridge along with Maddie, Issac, and Kasper. They were gesturing her over as the five of them were scheduled to hang out. Cedric turned to the rest of them and said something before jogging over to Harry, Iris, and Hermione.

"Hey Harry," Cedric greeted as he approached them.

"Cedric," Harry responded cooly.

Cedric wrapped his arm across Iris' shoulders as he asked her twin, "How are you?"

Harry looked away for a moment before responding sarcastically, "Spectacular."

Iris squinted uncomfortably, wishing she could just run away from the awkward tension. She knew Harry wasn't the biggest fan of Cedric, as he was very protective over her, but it didn't make their encounters very bearable.

Nevertheless, Cedric was ever the charismatic soul and quickly continued, "Look I realise I never really thanked you properly for tipping me off about those dragons."

"Forget about it. I'm sure you would have done the same for me."

"Exactly. You know the prefect's bathroom on the fifth floor?" Cedric asked.

Harry nodded and Iris understood what Cedric was getting at.

She started smiling a little when her boyfriend leaned closer, a charming grin growing on his face as he said to Harry, "It's not a bad place for a bath. Just take your egg and mull things over in the hot water."

And with that, Cedric backed up, Iris beside him. She gave a wave in good-bye to her brother and Hermione before turning around. Iris let out a laugh, lightly elbowing Cedric.

"Could you possibly be any more cryptic?"

⌗ ⌗ ⌗

After what felt like the quickest two days of her life, Iris was finally standing in front of the impending doom that was the second task. She felt as prepared as possible, which still wasn't much reassurance when considering what she was about to do. They still didn't even know what it was exactly that had been taken from each of them.