twenty two • and your bird can sing

tell me that you've got everything you want
and your bird can sing
but you don't get me
you don't get me

turns out, job hunting is a lot more tedious than it seems. finding jobs that had openings was a task in itself, let alone a job that would take both of us.

"savannah, what are we going to do?" ella complained, throwing her head back as we walked. "we've tried the library, the pictures, museum, shops, everything! where else can we try?"

i sighed and rubbed my eyes, looking down at my nicest outfit i own in order to look presentable. "i think our last and final option is that diner a block or two from our house. its our only shot."

ella looked as if she was going to say something, then decided against it. "i guess we don't have a better option."

we walked back into the direction of our house, an invisible cloud hanging over our heads. we stumbled across the diner called "classic club diner" and hastily walked inside.

we were immediately hit with the smell of burning burgers and a slight hint of alcohol. the atmosphere was doable, it was quaint but not amazingly clean and fresh. there was a small stage in the corner with seemingly abandoned microphones.

"how can i help you two girls?" a boy about our age asked. i looked to ella.

"we.... umm- we just wanted to see if there were any job openings for two people. we're both currently looking," ella near whispered.

he eyed both of us down with a look in his eyes that i didn't necessarily like. "would one of you happen to sing?"

i froze and i felt ella turn her eyes to me, along with the boy. i cursed ella for looking at me.

i gulped, not knowing how to cover myself. "i-i mean i can sing a little bit, im not great but i c-can do something... but-"

"as long as you can sing, you've got the job."

my eyes opened wide. "why? what even is my job?"

"our last singer that worked here just quit for personal reasons. you are our new club singer."

my jaw dropped. "i can't! im certainly not qualified for this. i've never performed live before, im not even that great of a singer, and-"

"trust me. you'll only have to sing two nights of the week max. the rest of the week, you can be a waitress. if you want, this will only be temporary and when we find a full time musician to play here you can still waitress. you'll even get paid nearly double on show nights. how does that sound?"

i sighed and looked down. i needed to put myself out there more and try new things, and this might just be the way. i thought for a few long moments. "when do i start?"

the boy smiled. "you'll be starting next monday as a waitress, and singing on wednesday's and friday's."

the boy continued to ramble on about my directions, with me only half listening. "thank you for taking this job...?"

"savannah. my name is savannah clarke."

"nice to meet you, savannah. my name's dave. we're glad to have you on the classic team!"