Chapter 1: LAURA

©2021 by FatimaBintaySalman

All rights reserved. No part of this document may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or other wise, without prior written permission by FatimaBintaySalman.

Hi. My name is Laura and this story is about my little sister Lynn. Lynn is 12. She is just like any other girl in her age but there is one thing that causes her to be overshadowed by some people. My sister has a type of bone cancer more commonly known as Osteosarcoma. In this immature bones are produced by your body and it is commonly found near the knee: That is where we first noticed the tumor in Lynn. Osteosarcoma is the most common type of bone cancer but even so males are more likely to get affected than females but still Lynn got affected by it. This type of cancer is usually either inherited or acquired at birth, but as all of our family is NED (No evidence of Disease (cancer)) it is safe to assume that Lynn was born with it.

I am pretty happy that I am cancer free but sometimes seeing Lynn in her wheelchair makes my heart swell so much that I just want to take the pain from her. That's the thing about sisters I think.

Today we will be visiting Lynn's doctor, Dr. Beckett. She is a good lady as far as we know and she has been with us in this journey of Lynn's cancer since day one.

Because Mom and Dad are out to buy Lynn and Me breakfast, I have to be the one to dress her up. I don't have any problem with this but seeing her abnormally large knee and her difficulty in dressing up in that wheelchair of hers is heart-wrenching.

After washing my face and putting on the brave expression that I reserve for her, I went and knocked on her bedroom door.

"Come in, I know it's you Laura," she piped up.

So I entered in and closed the door behind me. Her room has always been my favourite; she has these little quotes pasted all across her room and fairy lights draped across her curtains. On the wall above her bed she has all her polaroids sticking into a kind of picture wall. But the most precious thing of all in the room is sitting in front of the long mirror painting her small nails, all different colours.

Lynn looked at me from her mirror and smiled at me.

"What you wanna wear sis?" I asked her walking to her closet.

"Ummm can you take out my jeans and a white top and also my leather jacket?" she asked wheeling herself towards me.

"Jeans? Jacket? Feeling a little mature aren't you? They would go perfectly with those multi colour nails of yours right?"

"Stop being sarcastic I'm twelve and I can make my own decisions," she sneered back

"Okay okay whatever, but no jeans maybe a trouser gotta show your knee to the doc right?"

"Yeah...okay" she replied downhearted .

"Come on, soon you will be able to wear anything you want you won't even need my help, and then you could walk and run you know," I tried cheering her up

"Yeah I hope that soon comes soon,"

I glanced up at her and saw my lil sis, the thing that means the most to me. She is looking mature already but I know that she will always be my strong sister that i need to protect.

Then I helped her dress up and then wheeled her to the dining room where we would be having breakfast as soon as mom and dad bring it.