Chapter 22

What just happened? No no, what is happening? Sofia thought as she looked down into Adam's eyes.

Clearing her throat, she looked up at Charlie, then at Diana.

"Well um Adam...firstly, there is nothing going on between Charlie and I."

"But you were just...he was...sorry what?" Adam slowly stood up.

"No Adam, we we're just celebrating his engagement," Sofia replied, looking straight up at him.

Turning around towards Charlie, he looked at him for a sign of agreement. Charlie nodded his head, "Yes, with the girl, called Linda by the way, on 1st floor."

Again, Adam turned back towards Sofia, red faced, unable to look directly at her now. "Oh. I thought, I mean he said the other day that he found you cute and then today, hugging, laughing..."

God he looks so damn adorable. If only I could wipe those tears away with my lips. Wait, what? You meant hands. Although silently fighting an internal battle, Sofia continued to hold a solemn straight face.

"No mate. I said both. You brought Sof into the equation, and I'm not likely to say, 'girl on first floor is cute, but Sof isn't' now am I?" Charlie replied with a grin.

"Told you Charlie was sweet," Diane added with a smile as everyone whipped round to face her. "What? Can't I be part of the convo?"

"Adam, I would like you first to apologise to Charlie," Sofia shaking her head, continued.

Still not being able to make eye contact with Sofia, he nodded his assent and apologised.

"It's cool. Not unusual to think any girl with fall for me. I mean look at me," Charlie answered with a pat on Adam shoulders.

"Look Sof...I don't know what to say. I mean like all this was sudden-"

"-Sofia dear, you have an office, we have work to do. Please make use of it," Diane cut in.

Looking up at Adam intently, Sofia motioned for Adam to follow, leaving the rest outside to ponder over what the discussion would entail behind closed doors.

"Damn it Di, it was getting interesting!" Charlie said loud enough for Sofia and Adam to hear.

Chuckling to herself, she shut the door, "Have a seat." She walked back around to her desk and started ordering her paperwork in a neat pile.

"Sof-"

"-seriously Adam, just take a seat," she cut in, "and I'll be with you in a second," she mumbled more so to herself than to Adam.

Should I not be annoyed? Insulted? Then why am I turned on? If we were a jigsaw puzzle, we'll both fit perfectly together. Adam smiled to himself. He took the opportunity to look around the room. Sofia's office was almost a split image of his own. The large window looking out at the city was breathtaking. Her table was littered with pens, papers, highlighters, paper clips and documents. Shelves full of books and folders. Typical Sof, Adam thought.

"Sorry Adam, did you say something?" Sofia asked looking up from the papers.

Did I say anything aloud? "No, no. Just waiting for you, liking the scent by the way," he answered.

My scent or the office? Anyways, maybe if I pretend I'm busy, although I actually am, he might decide to come back later, she thought as she slowly raised her lashes to peek. She darted her eyes instantly back to a document. "Stupid woman," she silently whispered to herself.

And there's her peeking at me again, Adam couldn't prevent the wide smile spreading across his face. So adorable!

"Your eyes look amazing Sof." This time Sofia looked straight up.

"Well...um...took some effort." Took some effort? What is wrong with you woman?! "I mean, thanks Adam."

"Seriously, the eyeliner is perfect, and the mascara gives it a lot of volume. Enough volume to make people unsure whether you're quietly looking at them." He couldn't help himself.

Turning a dark shade of pink, "I didn't mean to look at you, I mean I was going to say something..." Sofia stuttered through her words.

"I never said you did Sof. Just thinking aloud."

"Yes well I've got to sort these out quickly."

"Do you need help?" Adam was on his feet and rushed behind the desk before Sof could say no. "How are you ordering everything? Like tell me the categories," he continued whilst reading over some documents.

Is it me or has it suddenly become so hot? AC. Sofia picked up a piece of paper and began fanning herself.

"Sof, are you sure you're supposed to do that? It seems like a pretty significant document," Adam asked looking extremely confused.

She forced her eyes towards the document she held. "What? Oh no! Yes you're right!" She responded with wide eyes.

"Are you alright? I know what I said outside must be a lot to take in. I'm trying to come to terms with it myself." Adam held her empty hand within his.

She looked up and her eyes locked with his, followed by just silence. Both were unable to take their eyes away.

"Just need the music in the background," Adam whispered.

"The ringing is enough Adam," Sofia whispered back.

Ringing?

"Ringing?" They both shouted, letting go and suddenly taking a step back.

Sofia quickly walked around to pick up the phone, refusing to make anymore eye contact with Adam.

"H h h hello...yeah, just transfer the call, thanks Di." Sofia looked down at her hand that was within Adam's a few moments ago. "Hey June, you're back! Finally! Why are you calling the office...my phone?...oh it must be on silent or something...yes yes... you've just come back, I'll get a ride. No I will not ask James. Charlie might but he's just gotten engaged!...I know right?!...I'll be home a bit late as I've got to sort everything out before I go...yes yes...love you too...wait is April cooking?... Yes!!! Ok bye!" Turning towards Adam, she noticed that he still stood in the same position looking down at his hands.

"Um Adam, maybe we should talk about this later? I've got quite a lot of things to complete."

"Let me drop you off. I don't know where you're off to, but I do need to talk." Adam was still looking at his hands, refusing to also make eye contact.

Look at me Adam! She thought.

Damn it Sof, just look my way! He prayed.

They both looked up, again, the eye lock moment kicked in.

"I...I don't know Adam. It's inappropriate and you probably have your own case to deal with." Please say you do, please please please Adam.

"No I don't, we just won today. All that is left is the usual settlement etcetera. El can take care of the rest."

Sofia stood there, mouth open, unable to push out another argument.

Adam, taking advantage of the the situation, walked straight up to her, grabbed her face and bore his eyes on her lips, "They're chapped as usual. You need something to moisten them," he breathed out. Sofia slowly closed her eyes.

This is not a dream, were her final thoughts.

No this definitely is not a dream, he thought to himself.