Jai's short and to-the-point note was an accurate imitation of his personality. I had no trouble deciphering it was him, despite the note not being signed.

I looked at the bottom of the note to see that Daniel had written more.

P.S. I'll tell you because I know Cain won't: he called the school to pay off your student loans when I told him that you graduated.

I felt my jaw go slack.

P.P.S. This package was timed to arrive at the same time we told your local florist to deliver flowers. If the timing was off, it was Jai's fault because he was the one who timed it. If the timing was perfect, allow me to say you're welcome because it was my idea. Love you! Dan

"Oh my God," I whispered, slumping into the dining room chair next to me.

"Who was it from?" my mom asked from the doorway.

"Friends," I smiled, looking at the picture.

"Friends from school? Or friends you met on your little adventure?" she asked.

My little adventure.

That's what my parents called it.

Just as I was about to answer, I noticed the other picture laying on the ground, face-down.

I bent down to pick it up, flipping it over.

I felt my heart lurch.

Clearly Daniel had caught Cain off-guard when he took the picture. It looked as if he had snuck up behind him and told him to turn around, only for Cain to be met with the flash of the camera.

He stared into the camera with his ever-present serious expression and I felt as if he were looking directly at me.

Tracing a finger over the photograph, I was pulled out of my trance by my mother's voice.

"You okay?"

I looked up at her with eyes filled to the brim with tears.

"I have to go."

- - -

Armed with nothing but a bag filled with cash, a toothbrush, my phone and its charger, Daniel's letter, Cain's picture and my passport, I landed in Germany looking like a madwoman.

It was only an hour's train ride to the station where I needed to be. As soon as I saw the sleek, silver train pull into the station, I showed the conductor the address at the bottom of the letter.

He looked at me suspiciously before nodding.

I hopped on the train and sat alone in the same car I'd ridden in nearly seven months prior.

When the train finally stopped, I opened the curtain next to me to see the familiar, ornately-decorated station.

I hopped out of my seat and ran out of the car.

Walking out, I saw the conductor arguing with a burly man who stood on the concrete platform.

"We have no scheduled arrivals tonight," he said. "You can't be here."

He looked up and saw me and I waved before jumping over the railing to land on the platform.

"Hey! Wait!"

I ran as hard as could up the stairs, out of the terminal and into the hallway.

"What's going on?" I heard a familiar voice ask.