Monday

The weekend went faster than I would have liked. The days flew as Ollie, Liz and Zach came over to see my dad. They distracted me from the empty feeling I felt inside. I was dreading Monday, when I would have to sit with Mr Miller for a whole period and act like nothing was wrong. I wasn't sure if I could do it. 

My friends didn't see my sadness. I kept up a bright and happy appearence, and it was so convincing that even I believed it sometimes. It was at night, when my parents had gone to bed and I only had the company of my music did I think of him. 

Monday arrived, clearly not knowing when it wasn't wanted. I concentrated hard in the first four class, although there was a gnawing feeling in my tummy that I had Mr Miller 5th period. When the bell rang signalling end of Spanish, I said bye to Zach and dawdled to Maths. I wanted to be sure that Mr Miller had begun the class, so he wouldn't get a chance to talk to me. 

Then an idea hit me. I wouldn't go to class. I could skip, and say I had to go to the nurses as I was feeling unwell. I turned on the spot and headed the opposite direction to my Maths class.

"Ah, Nicole! You seem to have gotten lost late in the term!" I heard a cheerful voice from behind me.

I silently cursed, and turned around slowly. Mr McCabe was striding towards me. I fixed a fake smile on my face. "Sorry, Sir?"

Mr McCabe stopped beside me. "I was just speaking to Mr Miller ... he mentioned that you were absent?"

It was my luck the one time I decided not to go to class, my principle happened to be in said class, and then bump into me.

"Oh, I have Mr Miller now? Ooops.. I thought I had history! Silly me!" I lied, putting on a ditzy act.

Mr McCabe chuckled. "It's okay Nicole, even I get confused sometimes! Better get going now though, don't want to get in trouble now do we?"

He smiled at me, waiting. He was obviously going to watch me going into the class. I sighed, and walked in the direction of the class. I walked slowly, and when I reached the door I looked around to see if McCabe had gone, and I could make a run for it. He was still standing in the same place, watching. He smiled and nodded encouragingly. I felt my stomach drop as I turned the handle and stepped into Mr Miller's class.

I kept my eyes on the floor. "Excuse me, sir , for being late." I hurried down to my desk, not daring to look up at him. 

I took my place and made a grand show of taking out my books. I placed all my things on the table and stared at my desk. He was quiet during all this, evidently wanting my full attention when he said what he had to say.

"I warned you before, Miss Nash, that if you were late for my class it would be a detention." I heard his voice say softly.

I looked up at him in dismay. "I was late once sir!" I felt rage bubble inside me.

I stared defiantly into his eyes. He held my gaze for a moment, but then dropped it. "Doesn't matter," he said shortly, "Be here after school."

I slumped back into my seat as he resumed teaching the class. I was too angry to pay attention. I noticed he refused to meet my gaze for the rest of the class.

                                                       **************************************

The final bell rang. Health class was over, and students all around me started to stand up and chatter among themselves. I sat still for a moment, and slowly got to my feet. I was carried by the flow of students out the door and down the hallway. I had already filled Liz in about my detention.