Chapter Twenty-Three

After a while Amy and I go to the barbeque station to get some dinner. It's now almost seven o' clock, which means I have to go find Ashton. I wonder why. 

We pick up paper plates and get a roll. The man behind the barbeque wearing a white apron smiles at us before putting a sausage on our rolls, nodding. We both say thanks before moving to get sauce and Amy gets cooked onion too. I don't really like onion, so I just have tomato sauce on mine. 

We sit down around one of the three bonfires that are now roaring. I can feel the heat radiating off it from metres away. It's surprisingly nice. 

Amy and I sit down on a spare space on one of the logs around the fire. I stretch my les out in front of me and start eating slowly, smiling at the delicious flavour. It's nicer than I thought it would be. 

"So are you enjoying yourself?" Amy asks. 

I nod, grinning. 

Amy grins to. "That's good to know. Ashton will be happy." 

I smile on the inside when hearing that. "He said he wants me to go find him at seven. Do you know why?" I ask. 

She shrugs. "No idea. It's almost seven now. Want to go find him?" 

I nod. "Ok, talk to you later." I say smiling, before standing up and wandering off to find Ashton, carrying my plate with me.  

It doesn't take me long to find him. His intoxicating scent is easy to pin point, and I start to follow it. Eventually I find him talking to Joshua away from the groups of people. They seem to be discussing something important, and Ashton looks excited. 

As soon as I break away from the crowds of people around one of the fires, Ashton turns his head to look at me. One of those cute smiles dances across his face, lighting up his features. He politely excuses himself from Joshua, who just smiles and claps him on the shoulder. A moment later and he has me wrapped up in his arms and his lips pressed against my forehead. A giggle escapes my lips.  

"So why did you want me to find you?"  

"Well aren't we a curious little kitten." Ashton laughs, his arm around my waist as he leads me back into the main area. "You'll just have to wait a little longer." 

I pout up at him.  

He just laughs and kisses my temple gently. "It's a surprise." 

"But I don't like surprises..." 

"Don't worry, you'll like this one." He grins at me. 

I roll my eyes. Guess I'll just have to wait then, not that I want to. I really don't like surprises; the suspense makes me feel weird. I like knowing what's going to happen and when. Having more structure in my life really is something I prefer. 

Ashton leads me back to one of the fires. He lets me finish eating, though I let him have half of the roll seeing as I got full pretty quickly.  

"Ok, you just wait here." Ashton says, that excited smile lighting his face up again.  

I cock my head to the side, a questioning look on my face. 

He just stands and smiles, kissing my head one last time before wading through the crowd again. Once he is in the free space behind the bonfire I'm in front of, he puts two fingers in his mouth and lets out a whistle. Almost immediately everyone's attention turns to him as the chatter dies down. 

"Ok, welcome everyone! I'm sorry for not attending the last few bonfires, but I had some things I needed to do." Ashton smiles at the group of people all looking at him.