Chapter 15: New Cast Member

❤️Mac❤️

"What?"

"I said I'm in love with you, Mackenzie."

I shake my head, attempting to find the right words, but they elude me. Ryan leans in slowly, his hand brushing a lock of hair off my forehead before gently tucking it behind my ear. His eyes, a captivating shade of green, draw me in.

"Have dinner with me tonight."

His voice, low and captivating, and I shiver in response. I'm at a loss for what to say. In the face of his declaration of love, every defence I had built against him crumbles away.

"Mac?"

The tenderness and warmth in his voice leave me breathless. He's waiting for my response, but the words evade me. Is this how he felt when I confessed my love to him?

"This is... I'm truly surprised."

"You're not the only one," Ryan says, before chuckling softly. "I've tried to avoid feeling like this about anyone, but I just couldn't avoid it with you. I've fallen so hard for you, Mac. I know it screws up everything. I know the risks you have to take if we decide to be together, but I want it. I want it so much. I want you and me. Together. I've never wanted anything more."

"The risks," I repeat, my mind grappling with the weight of his words.

For the past few weeks, even months, I've done everything I can to keep it together, to not fall apart – to prioritize my job over my emotions.

"Aren't you glad you don't have to choose between following your heart and keeping your job?"

Despite the initial doubts, Jazz had been right—a small blessing in disguise. When I believed Ryan didn't share my feelings, focusing on my work became the only option. Now that he's offered everything I've secretly wished for, my mind whirls with questions. Can we navigate a relationship when our boss is vehemently against it? Will Ryan be able to shed his womanizing ways for me?

"I understand. Your job is at stake. Trust me, I get it. All I'm asking for is a chance to discuss it with you, to explore the situation and determine if we can make this work. The path we choose from here is in your hands. I just want to talk, that's all."

He makes it sound simple—a conversation, a dinner. But dinner may lead to sex. And sex will lead to more. The kind of more that makes my insides quiver with anticipation. My body is still thrumming from the intensity of the kiss we just shared on stage. As if reading my mind Ryan's eyes darken and his gaze drops to my lips.

I never stopped wanting him, not even after we had sex in my kitchen. Ryan had warned me that one time wouldn't be enough, and how right he was!

But you only wanted to limit sex to one time because you were worried that sleeping with him would make you fall in love with him. Idiot. We only slept together once, but I've fallen in love with him anyway. And it seems he's in love with you too.

The thought makes my head spin harder. My first instinct is to deny it, but why would he lie? He has to be telling the truth. Nothing else would explain why he isn't running from this, or from me.

"Please, Mac."

It is the desperation in his voice that makes me nod my head slowly. "Okay."

Ryan's face splits into a smile as he draws a breath and lets his forehead rest gently against mine. "Thank you."

It's just dinner, I remind myself as my nerves and doubts kick into high gear. Dinner that could lead to sex and a relationship with Australia's Romeo, and the end of my career.