Wednesday, 5:23, Nov. 21, 2018

I walked towards my best friend, Sophia Young's home. She hasn't changed since Isabella's death, still the happy and bubbly girl I grew up with. Sophia sat on the cushioned bench on her porch, her cognac eyes glued to her phone screen. Figures. Probably texting that guy in her science class, the one she had been crushing on for weeks. I climbed the steps, clearing my throat. Sophia looked up, eyes lighting up at the sight of me.

"Evan!" She exclaimed, smiling.

I smiled back, that smile shifting to a smirk," Still texting Jay?"

She giggled, standing up and putting her phone into her jacket pocket," You know me too well."

I snorted," I know that you deserve better." I motioned for her to take the lead.

She walked past me and down the stairs," That's sweet, but Jay is a good guy."

I shrugged, following her to the sidewalk," That's a matter of opinion. Have you asked him about talking to Avery?"

Sophia nodded, walking next to me," Yeah, but why can't we just go talk to her ourselves?"

I glanced at her," Avery was supposed to pick Isabella up. Most likely she's torn up about it and blaming herself. It would probably be too harsh on her when the pain is still raw to have two strangers going up to her and asking questions about her dead friend."
Sophia pursed her lips, nodding slowly.

There was a moment of silence that passed between us. I took in the surroundings, letting out a soft sigh. The trees popped with bright colors of red, yellow, and orange. The air was crisp, giving off that classic fall aura. The dead leaves floated down the the ground. There were a few people out and about. Mrs. Higgins was chatting with Mrs. Nipper, the two elderly women chatting away on the Higgins' porch, probably talking about their gardens and children or town gossip. In a yard a few houses down, little 8-year old Chris Taylor was playing with his jack russell, Tate. We walked past Gabriel Martinez shooting a few hoops in his driveway. He smiled, waving at the two. Sophia grinned, waving. I nodded to him.

" You should try to be friendlier," Sophia pointed out, looking up at me.

I ran a hand through my blonde hair, sighing," I don't do socializing..."

Sophia snorted, laughing. I couldn't help but smile softly. Sophia's laugh always makes my day. It's barely changed from when she was little.
Her laughter subsided, and she sighed," Olivia is gonna think we're nuts."

I shrugged," It's the only way we'll figure out more about Isabella. More than just simple rumors."

Since the day Isabella was found dead in the woods, I took the mystery into my own hands. Dad says I'm still a kid and should just worry about school. But like my father, I want to be in the crime solving career, and I can't just ignore this urge. Someone killed the richest and most popular girl in my school, and I intend to figure out who did it and why. I can tell Sophia thinks we won't figure anything out. She doesn't know how far I'll go to solve a mystery.
" You really think Olivia will have some good info?" Sophia asked, putting her phone back into her pocket after responding to yet another text from Jay.

I shrugged," Most likely-"

" She planned our girls night, and she was also the last to text Izzie," a female voice said behind us.

I whipped around, eyes widening. Sophia did the same, eyes narrowing. She muttered," Mackenzie Collins.."

Sure enough, it was none other than Mackenzie Collins, the nosy gossip girl. Her thin, auburn hair was tied back into a ponytail, giving a clear view of her mischievous, baby blue eyes.
She smiled, calmly asking," Are you two lovebirds off to see Via?"

I nodded," That's right."
Sophia shifted, stuffing her hands into her sweatshirt pocket.

When Isabella Thompson had died, there had been a power shift. Mackenzie, one of her best friends, had rose in popularity, and quickly became the queen of the school. Like the crown had been passed down, Mackenzie instantly stepped into her new role, and was enjoying every millisecond of it. Now I don't think much of the high school hierarchy, but Sophia is constantly telling me bits and pieces of the drama and such that goes on in their little clique. And for whatever reason, Sophia hates her guts.

" Evan Foster," Mackenzie purred, looking at me with curious eyes.

I tensed, meeting her gaze with confidence, replying," Yes?"

The edges of her lips curved up in a smile. A cold, condescending smile.

" Interesting how you suddenly leave the dark hole of your home only after Izzie died."

I smirked faintly, fully aware of my reputation at school for being the loner kid. " You seem eager with your newfound popularity. Maybe a little too eager?"

Mackenzie snorted," I know what you're getting at. And let's be honest; Izzie's death was a blessing to most. Including you, Foster."

Denying it would be denying the truth. Isabella was known for being a cold hearted bully, harassing others that were below her. The Thompsons  were one of the richest families in the town, and Isabella would never let others forget it.
" Seems like her personality rubbed off on you.." Sophia spat, glaring at her.

Mackenzie scowled, standing a little straighter," Whatever. You two should keep your noses out of other people's business."

Sophia laughed sourly," You're one to talk."

I averted my gaze, not used to girl fights. Mackenzie huffed, turning and walking down the street.
She called over her shoulder," You won't find her at her home. Olivia's at school, cleaning out Isabella's locker."

I watched her go, her ponytail swaying back and forth with each step she took. I tried to evaluate how such a pretty girl could act so ugly.

I looked at Sophia, who was still glaring at Mackenzie," We should head for the school."

She muttered darkly," I think we found our first suspect.."

My eyebrows raised in surprise," Mackenzie? As cruel as she can be, she wouldn't be able to pull off a murder. She couldn't even do the dissection lab in 7th grade."

Sophia tore her gaze away from Mackenzie and looked at her shoes, beginning to walk," People can change.."

I followed her, opening my mouth to protest, then paused. As weak as Mackenzie seems, the hatred she had for her " friend" was strong, and Mackenzie loves attention. Would she really kill for popularity? No, that's absurd. Besides, Mackenzie looks up make-up tutorials, not murder plots. But as I think about it.. People can be greedy.. And when greed is involved, people can get dangerous.

When we arrived at the school, we walked up the steps and through the front doors, walking down the halls. The walls had many banners hanging with cross symbols and flowers, reading in big black letters " WE WILL MISS YOU, IZZIE."
" REST IN PEACE ISABELLA THOMPSON."
Things like that.
As we headed down the hall, an open locker came into view. Standing in front of it was a girl was long, dark, golden blonde hair. Her vale eyes were glassy, about to spill tears at any moment. Her freckles were what she was known for, since they covered her entire face.

Sophia smiled softly, calling out to her," Olivia!"

Olivia jumped, looking over at Sophia and I. Her eyes changed from confused and startled to warm," O..Oh. Hey, Sophia, Evan. What're you two doing here?"

Sophia explained," We want to know more about Isabella's death."
Olivia's face fell.

I quickly added," But we also wanted to check on you. We know Isabella's death was hard on you."

Olivia glanced between Sophia and I, clearly thinking about what we asked. She finally let out a long sigh," What.. What do you want to know..?"