Chapter 20

"Trey."

"Baby?" He stands up and walks towards me.

"It's Belle. Just Belle." I correct him.

He stops on his track and deliberately sniffs the air. Suddenly, he lunges for me, but he's restricted by the silver bars. "You slut! How could you do this to me?!"

"They're my mates, Trey." I sigh, shaking my head.

"Do you think I give a fucking care?! You're mine!" He growls as his eyes flash gold before turning pitch black. "You belong only to me!"

"Look." I rub my temples and grunt. "I came here to talk and I don't have much time. Euan and Luca might wake up any minute."

Trey only keeps on growling and snarling, trying to claw my throat through the bars, as if I never said anything.

This is harder than I thought. I sigh. My head feels like splitting as well since my lyall loathes Trey's threatening presence. I do my best to calm myself so that I can reign in my lyall better.

"Trey, it's kinda my fault that you're like... that. So I'm trying to understand you, okay?" I frown. "You know, it kind of stunned me how one person could go from loving someone so much to hating. But now that I know you're just not in your right mind, I-"

"Nothing's wrong with me!" He cuts me off.

"You know, if you try to tell a crazy person that he's insane, he'd tell you the same." I retort then sigh. "Anyway, I'm going to do everything I can to fix you, okay?" I reach for his face and cup it. "Once upon a time, I may have truly loved you Trey." I rub his face gently. "And in the bottom of my heart, I know that I can wish for things to have been different. I can wish for us to have been mates. But those are simply useless wishes."

"Everything I did was for you, Belle! My soul for your soul – to see it, to feel it, to be a part of it! You're my everything!" He cries.

"Because I enslaved you!" A tear escapes my eye and I feel anguished, knowing I have done this to him. "Now, you're mine to free. And I hope that after you get better, we could be... may be, friends." I give him a smile and pull my hand back, but Trey grabs it tightly.

"If I can't have you, then no one can!" He growls then he pulls me towards the bars.

"Please don't make things worse, Trey! I don't want to be filled with hatred for you again!" I cry in frustration.

Trey pauses for a while, but his grip on my hand is still tight.

After several seconds of awkward silence, his eyes turn back to their normal color and he slowly lets go of my hand. His hands reach past the bars and cup my face.

"I don't want you to hate me." He whispers.

"Then don't do this." I answer him, placing my hands over his. "At least try to cooperate. You're not supposed to feel this way for me. You were never mine, and I will never be yours. Don't you want to get better for your own sake and the pack?"

He takes a deep breath and releases a heavy sigh. "Okay, I'll... try."

Somehow, I'm surprised that Trey easily agreed. It leaves an unsettling feeling behind my mind. But most probably, it's from my lyall, so I disregard it.

"Thank you." I whisper before leaning my face into his hand to kiss it.

"Anything for you, my angel." He smiles at me, genuinely, and circles his thumb on my cheeks.

I can't help but smile at him too, knowing he's being cooperative which will make things easier, I guess.

"I need to go now." I remove his hands from my face.