•chapter nineteen•

mochi

Drinking my water I look around at the table conversing.

I look back at my barely touched food and hear a little voice to my left.

"Why aren't you eating?" Melody asks concerned. "Are you sick!!" She asks worried touching my stomach.

"No!" I laugh and look into her caring eyes.

"Is it because Grey is looking at you! I know his stare is scary but I promise he's nice!" She smiles.

"No it's not Grey." I shake my head.

"Then what is it?" She presses.

"Melody leave her alone." Nathan grumbles. He mumbled something under his breathe but I can't make it out.

"She's fine really." I smile at Nathan. "She's only concerned, I understand."

"I like her!" She hugs my side. "You should be my new babysitter! I don't have one since we moved." She says grabbing a piece of steak that was cut into cubes for her. "She wasn't nice anyway." She shrugs.

I giggle at the little girl and take a bite of my steak.

"You do feel good!" She says while I chew. "You know I used to hate corn. But now I'm a big girl so I loveee corn!" She stuffs her mouth with mashed potatoes.

Dinner goes on and I just feel so awkward with Grey at the table.

I've ignored him all day just for him to come to my house. Of course Melody takes him off my mind, with her funny comments and interesting stories, but with him across the table from me It's hard to ignore him.

"Thank you Fiona for the wonderful dinner!" Mrs. Ridge comments to my mother as she finishes her plate.

I guess they are on first name bases.

"No problem! I hope to have many more dinners." My mother beams.

Mochi comes in the dinning room swaying her tail.

"KITTY!" Melody springs up excitedly as she spots Mochi.

"Melody." Mr. Ridge warns her.

"Oh! Sorry." She semi-whispers. "KITTY!" She whisper screams.

Mochi comes up to her hand and Melody strokes her. She purrs causing a smile to take over Melody's face.

"Cute cat." Lucas comments.

"Thanks. Her name is Mochi." I smile at him.

"Grey is allergic to cats..." Melody says looking at Grey.

"Oh. I should probably put her away then." I go to to pick Mochi up.

"He's fine. He just can't touch her." She waves off and continues to pet Mochi.

"oh. ok." I reply softly looking up at him.

I have been avoiding him in school and now I just want to give up. I've felt his stare on me all dinner and I have never felt so uncomfortable.

His gaze is still, stone cold, and scary. I put my game face on and show him I'm not intimidated by him at all. Even though I slightly am...

"Can I be excused to the restroom?" He asks getting up.

"Honey go show him the bathroom." My mom instructs me.

"okay." I smile lip tight.

whyyy me! Oh yeah I have no siblings.

••••
VOTE
COMMENT
FOLLOW
🐞🐞🐞🐞🐞