2} An Accessory To Badassary.

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song: "The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World

Chapter Two: An Accessory To Badassary.

Sutton, to my amazement sits by me again her second day of school. She's friendly as ever again and though I keep talking to a minimum on my end she is completely undeterred by it. She just chats away but anything and everything. Mostly about this ‘sick’ party she had gone to in the city where she got ‘mega wasted’ and then passed out with a dick drawn on her cheek. Then she says she’d never drink whiskey again after that night but not going to Nikki’s house. Who ever the fuck that was.

As the one sided conversation goes on I notice small things about her. Sutton talks a lot with her hands and when she's thinking she tongues her cheek. It's an odd habit and kind of makes her face contort in a funny way. When she's mad or annoyed she tends to suck on her teeth and when bored she tends to drum her knuckles on the edges of the desk. As I observe I  feel like a scientist discovering a new species, writing down all the traits for future generations to take note of.

“So what do you say?”

Blinking back into reality I give her a questioning look.

Rolling her eyes she says it slower this time, “Would. You. Like. To. Eat. Lunch. With. Me. Today? Did you get it that time?”

Oh I got it but why does she want me to eat with her? Doesn’t she have friends? Of course she does! I saw her the day before hanging out with Tommy Slater, Kate Holiday and Carla Kinney a group also know as the unholy three by…well just by me. It seems like a really cool nickname and highly creative even if it was just me who knows about it so I stick with it.

Anyway, my point is, why doesn’t she just sit with them? And better yet why doesn't she just leave me alone?

“Why?” I ask with a frown.

“Why what?”

I clear my throat before speaking a bit louder, “Why would you want to sit with me?”

“Why not?”

“B-Because…”

Sutton shakes her head with a triumphant smirk, “See you got nothing. Don’t worry about it okay? My friends are pretty cool and they won’t bother you too much.”

Yeah, because that's reassuring, I think with a snort, as reassuring as a bullet by a gun. It isn’t in the chamber but it still has that lethal edge to it.

Rolling her eyes Sutton grabs my hand as the classroom starts clearing out and barely gives me time to grab my bag before the dragging starts. Now, I’m already clumsy but when you add a force of motion behind it I’m practically dead woman walking here. By the time we even approach the lunch area I’ve nearly massacred half the student body with my flailing limbs.

As we pull to a stop before the hustle and bustle of the lunchroom the panic starts to set in. Shit. How the hell am I going to get out of this one now? Lunch is an institution I quickly learned to abandon as I entered into high school. Honestly this is the trickiest thing about this whole ‘outsider’ status I have.

I’m nerdy enough for the people in the library. The art kids always give me snotty looks if I hang out in the art room. The bad assess, Sutton’s natural tribe, hang out back by the football field so that’s always been a no-no area. The lunchroom was itself a haven for the well adjusted so that was out. Eventually I settled with the auditorium. It was quite, secluded and dark. All three are things I look for in a place to crawl off and die in my loserdom. Did I mention I’m a dramatic kind of creature? My inner life is colorful.