Volume 1 Chapter 1

"What will it take for you to love me?"

Athanasia stared at the person in front of her with a face stained with tears. However, her father, emperor Claude, only stared down at her sobbing, kneeling form with no emotions in his eyes.

"Should I become like Jennette? If I do, then will you call my name dearly like you do hers, and watch me with warmth in your eyes?"

Her beautiful half-sister. The lovely Jennette gained a glory that Athanasia had never had before when she made her debut, even taking the love of her father away from her.

Having the nerves to mention that name in front of him, she had already mentally messed up.

"Will you hold me in your arms...without pushing me away?"

Claude didn't hesitate to answer: "Such a thing won't happen until the day I die." He wasn't the slightest bit surprised to see his always calm daughter being that pitiful in front of him.

Taking up all of her courage, Athanasia begged, "Why is that? I'm your daughter too, father. I was by your side much longer than Jennette." However, her king and father remained unmoved by her tears and only continued to stare blankly at the pitiful girl in front of him.

"You fool."

That piercing contempt in his voice dug a cruel hole into her ears, making her hands lose their strength on his pants and fall listlessly to the floor.

"There was never a day I considered you my daughter."

Faced with those words, the deepest of despairs like never before flooded Athanasia's eyes...

-"The Lovely Princess" Chapter 8: Twisted Fate-

-----------

"Ugh."

The sudden thought of that scene in that novel shocked me so much that I dropped my rattle.

What's this? Why did I suddenly think of that novel? The romance novel I read because a customer left it behind at my previous place of work. I remember that it was a tale of childish content befitting the title of "The Lovely Princess." Did I recall this book because the princess that gets executed in her eighteenth year...has the same name as me...? Argh. Get out of my head this instant! What a jinx!

"Hmm?" The lady sleeping on the chair suddenly jolts up at the sound of the rattle falling to the floor. "Oh, bother. How clumsy, she keeps dropping it."

Babies don't have a good grip, dummy! Of course, I'll keep dropping it, besides this is the first time it's fallen, not that you noticed.

"Don't be a nuisance and play quietly with your toy, miss." She picked the rattle up from the ground and gave it back to me without even wiping it. Is she belittling me for being an "outcast" of a princess? I sure hope not.

"Uwaa." I dropped the rattle again.

"What's wrong?" Seeing the rattle on the floor again the lady maid stands up. "Ugh, I already have my hands full with all this sewing!"

Ignoring the maid, I flip onto my stomach and try to crawl, but no matter how much I try I can't.

"Here, let me get that for you."

"Nyo!"

I don't want this, it's not what I want! Do you really think a rattle that I dropped on the floor twice would be entertaining at my age?! Even if my physical body is that of an infant, I'm mentally too old for a rattle to be any fun!