Chapter 38

I stood quietly as I stirred the taco soup, Kota and Gabe patiently stood next to me. They both managed to open cans for me and cut up the vegetables I need. 

     "See?" I say as I looked over at the boys. "Easy peasy! Now you have dinner for tonight, and you can bring leftovers to school. Just don't forget to bring some plastic cups and spoons."  Kota nodded happily, agreeing with me. Gabe hovered over me and before I could say anything he dipped his finger in the soup and put it to his mouth.

     "Mmm!" Gabe hummed. "Now way is he gonna have left overs, I'm staying over for dinner." 

      "Gabe don't do that!" I say as I look at finger. "You could burn yourself."

      "And not to mention completely unsanitary," Kota said as he dipped spoon into the soup before he brought it up to his mouth.

      "Don't worry Kota I washed my hands," Gabe said as he gave a Kota a thumbs up.

       "Mm," Kota said looking over at me. "Gabe is right, this is delicious. How did you learn how to cook?"

        I smiled, happy they enjoyed eating my food. "I taught myself, I do all the cooking in my family, so I learned a thing or two from cook books. In my peripheral I see Gabe trying to put his finger back in the soup. "H-hey!" I said scolding him. "It's not even done yet." Gabe pouted.

      "It's not my fault you made such a good soup, seriously, you should have made this sooner!" Gabe said, I smiled.

      "Just wait a little while longer, kay?" I said. I turn my attention back to the pot. "You two go upstairs and I'll be up there in a second." They nodded and I hear them talk as they went up the stairs. I smiled as I added salt and put the stove on low so that it could simmer. I hear the door opened, at first I thought it was Jessica.

      "Hey Kota," A male voice called out. "Are you here? Something smells delicious."  I heard footsteps walking into the kitchen.

      "Victor?" I say quietly studied his bruised face. "What happened to you?" I say I walk up to him. He turned his head away from me. His cheeks were pink from the moment he saw me. He had a big bruise on the left side of his face and a gash on his right cheek.

     "It's fine Sang," Victor said not meeting my eyes. "Just got it from training." The closer I got the worse his injuries were.

     "With what a lion or something?" He shook his head. The gash looked like it was starting to scab over.  His bruise was a mess, purple splotches all over. I raised my hand to touch it.

     "I didn't know you would be here." He said quietly.

     I frowned. "Do you want me to leave?" I asked, a bit hurt. Victor quickly shook his head.

     "N-no!" He said quickly. "I'm just worried what about your mom?" 

      "She won't notice I'm gone," I say. "Victor, I wanted to apologize, earlier I upset you-"

      "No Sang," Victor said interrupting me. "I'm sorry." He looked at me with a pained expression. "I shouldn't have snapped at you the way I did, you didn't do anything wrong. I did" I smiled at him, happy he wasn't mad at me. I walked up to him and wrapped my arms tightly around him. Friends hug when they worry about each other right? "Oof!" He choked out. "S-Sang...I..."

      "I don't care about that! It's in the past! Besides, I'm worried about your face, you look bad." I said.

      Victor's hands slid behind my back as he gave me a squeeze back. "I really am sorry." He whispered into my ear, his warm breath giving me a shiver up my spine. I sighed as I stepped back. After I hugging him I felt awkward, my face felt warm. I put my shaking hands behind my back.