Chapter 14

--Kayla's POV--

--Halloween--

I pulled into Kyle's driveway, my heart pounding. I'd almost gotten in a wreck again. I was shaking.

"You okay, sis?" Kyle asked.

"That was just..." I said. "I haven't driven since the...a-accident."

"Don't let it get to you, Kayla," Kyle replied, patting my shoulder. "Now c'mon."

We got out of Kyle's car and went up to the front door.

"Girls!" Kyle called. "Your aunt is here!"

"Isadora's not here, is she?" I whispered.

"No," Kyle whispered back. "She's only here once a week now. And that's on Saturdays."

"Oh, okay," I said.

Mystery, Mary-Kate, and Autumn ran up to me.

Mystery was the first to hug me, then the twins did.

"Hey, girls," I said.

"What's she doing here?" Mary-Kate asked.

"She's babysitting you guys while I'm at work," Kyle said.

"Oh, good, I won't have to order takeout anymore," Mystery said. "That drives my social anxiety crazy."

I laughed.

"Oh, by the way, Kayla, you're gonna have to help them with their costumes," Kyle said.

"Yay!" Autumn exclaimed, jumping up and down in excitement.

"We don't do anything," Mystery said, "but we do have a Halloween party."

"Sounds fun," I said.

--Jack's POV--

(A/N - I'm not a huge fan of this song but I felt like it would be appropriate for this part. I changed the lyrics a bit. Also, this part can be a bit scary. Just warning you.)

I was beginning to see why Mom called this place the Panic Room.

There were clearly some things about Halloween Town that I didn't know about.

My hands were shaking like crazy.

I discovered there were lights in the cell, but they wouldn't stay on. They sparked and flickered, then went out.

And the worst part was, there were voices and strange noises. They were creepy, even for me.

I couldn't sleep in this room, but I had nightmares, anyway. I saw my darkest fears, one of them being Kayla backing out on me for something I couldn't control. I didn't understand why I was so afraid of that. She'd proven to me more than once that she'd never do that.

Kayla had been trying to get a hold of me, but down here, no signal was provided. I wished there was some way I could tell her that I was in serious trouble.

Suddenly, a voice started singing. I recognized it as my mom's. But it was cold and hallow, not the sweet and kind voice I'd heard before she died.

I stared at the mirror as a dark shape began to form. It was the shadow of my mother. It was the source of her voice.

Sweat began flooding down my face when I realized she was singing to me.