47

When Hathor was woken by the smell of something delicious cooking downstairs, she realised she had no memory of getting into bed. The last thing she remembered was being downstairs, playing senet with Colt. Rolling onto her stomach, one of her hands felt a piece of paper on the bedside table. It was from Colt, saying he had fun last night and had been the one to put her in bed.

With a smile, Hathor convinced herself to roll out of bed. She pulled put her hair and tugged on ugg boots. As she passed Colt's room, she knocked. No reply. She stuck her head in but the room was empty. Finding a pen and paper, Hathor left a message on his desk thanking him for looking after her and asking if he'd like to play senet with her again later.

Downstairs, she found Carmin peeling fruits and vegetables as Dan cooked over the stove. Hathor sat at the bench, folding her arms on the cold tabletop and sighing with contempt. "That smells so good."

"A few more minutes until it's done," Dan said over his shoulder as he took a plate of chopped greens from Carmin. "If you feel like being helpful, you can set the table."

"How many are coming?"

"Eight," Carmin answered.

Hathor jumped from the stool and opened the top draw just inside the kitchen. With a wave of her hands, plates, bowls, glasses, mugs and cutlery floated onto the table. She sat herself at the far end with a happy smile.

Kayla and Ema were first to arrive. They were talking but it was tense. They took up a seat at different ends from the table as though trying to get as far away from each other as possible. Jay came in close behind. He ruffled Hathor's hair before sitting beside her. She stuck her tongue out at him.

Carmin and Dan brought several plates of food over to the table. The smell was heavenly.

Jay passed Hathor a plate of fruit when Amneris came over and took up the seat opposite her, pressing a kiss to her hair as she passed. Hathor watched her mother closely as she yawned. She looked strangely awake, as though she'd slept closely. Jay was also watching with a frown.

When Colt entered the room, Hathor watched Jay's eyes flick between the pair. He sniffed their air, suddenly grinning. The Fae male opened his mouth, no doubt to make a remark, but was silenced by Amneris. End of discussion.

As curious as Hathor was, she knew it was none of her business. Instead, she joined another conversation with others at the table.

* * * * * * * *

From what she heard, the meeting which happened today was called to an early end. Some wanted to return home and speak with their advisors about whatever was discussed. It was decided the meetings would begin again the day after tomorrow.

Since her presence wasn't required, Hathor found herself wandering the streets of Lapide. In theory she was searching for a certain type of tea leaf she'd been growing but was still far from being useable. In practice, she was bored.

Hathor wandered the streets of Visionary Palace and bought a new set of paints. As a regular customer to some of the shops and a familiar face to owners, she had a member's discount. The items she bought were sent directly to the Palace, saving her from having to lug everything around. After this, Hathor crossed the Najima to get to the two other Plazas.

While she wasn't a fan of clothes shopping, Hathor found herself browsing the stores in Crystal Palace, unable to resist a few pieces of clothing and jewellery that caught her attention. Even though she was well-off, Hathor wasn't one for big buying. Unless it was absolutely necessary. Or a holiday.

Carrying one large bag filled with a few smaller ones, she finally snapped out of her boredom enough to make her way to Starlight Plaza to search for those tea leaves.

The scent of the Plaza hit her before she walked into it, making her stomach grumble. Perhaps once she bought the leaves, she'd find a nice café.

Hathor made her way toward her usual store. It was a cute corner shop where one could buy herbs and, if necessary, medication. When she turned toward the counter, Hathor found someone she'd not been expecting.

"Mum?"

Amneris turned away from the woman at the counter she'd been talking to and smiled. "Hey, baby. What brings you here?"

"Buying Shaisy leaves," she said, coming up beside her to place the leaves on the counter.

Her mother looked surprised. "Thought you were growing those."

"I am," Hathor said, "but they're not ready for harvest yet and, well, considering everything that's been happening lately, I thought I might end up brewing tea for, well, you."

Her mother's eyes were bright. "That's sweet of you, baby."

Hathor returned the smile. "So, what brings you here?"

Before she could answer, the woman Amneris had been talking to placed a bottle onto the counter. "Thirty gold, please. Are you also paying for the leaves?" A nod. "Fourty-two gold and twenty silver."

As Amneris handed the coins over, Hathor took a moment to read the label on the bottle. "Isn't that contrace—"

"No." Her mother answered too fast for it to be an honest answer. She shoved the bottle into a bag on her shoulder and handed the leaves over. The two walked out the door together before Amneris spoke again. "And because it's not what you think it is, there's no reason to spread rumours."

"I thought you weren't interested in sex or having more kids," Hathor said.

Amneris shrugged. "It's a 'just in case' thing."

"Ah, of course." Hathor covered her laugh with a small laugh. She linked arms with her mother. "So, while you're here, do you want to have lunch with me?"