Chapter 1

A sob story usually starts out with darkness. With depression over taking a person's life while they fall into a dark emptiness of bad events. Well, I don't have a normal sob story. In fact I didn't even use to have a sob story. But when it began, it began... In white.

The characters wore white, the walls were white, the sheets on the bed where a blinding white. Maybe it should have made it better, easier to take and get through. But in all honesty I think it made it worse.

The day had started off normal, breakfast with my mom and brother, dad had just left for work. The monstrous case of events happened so suddenly. No one had been expecting them.

But when the sharp pains came, it felt as if they wouldn't go away. The pressure was growing increasingly unbearable and my food felt like it was about to return back to the plate in front of me.

Yet, the first thing I thought about. The first thing to cross my mind. Was snow. The new layering that had been covering the earth. Falling to the ground outside, as if nothing was happening at all. Of course, more white.

I remember the crash of the chair falling next to me when I collapsed to the floor. The sound of my brother jumping up and assessing me immediately. The tears streaming down my mother's face while she looked at me. But for the life of me I can't seem to remember what happened after that.

When I woke up in the hospital, monitors beeped around me. Long lines attaching me to them held me in place. I was alone.

I don't know how long I sat in there before a nurse came in and almost screamed when she saw I had woke up. It felt like it could have been minutes. But also maybe hours. The doctor quickly took her place in the door way and I tried to sit up.

He walked over and gently placed a hand on my shoulder as if telling me to stay down. It irritated me truthfully, I've never been okay with being bossed around.

"Nice to see you awake Kleo, I'm doctor Foster." He stood with perfect posture and I could smell the wealth spewing off of him.

"Hi." I croaked.

My voice was scratchy, and you could easily call it weak. It felt as if my throat hadn't seen hydration in years.

"Your parents and brother just left for some food. They've been at your side the whole time." The fact that he kept standing there, just staring, bothered me more than it probably should.

The nurse waltzed back in and started taking note of a couple things. My heart rate, blood pressure. The usual I guess.

"What happened?" I finally spit out. Suppressing the cough that tried to follow. 

A look of uncertainty crossed his perfect features and my stomach twisted in response, fear probably caking my face.

"I don't think it would be fair for me to tell you without your family around. They may want to tell you themselves actually." He eyeballed the door, as if willing my father to walk through at that moment.

"I really don't care. Tell me." I was becoming impatient, and you could hear it in my tone.

"Kleo I don't believe-"

"Just tell me!?" I half yelled. Regretting it when my throat screamed back in pain.

"We've located a brain tumor in the frontal left lobe of your brain. And from what we can see, it appears to be cancerous." He shot the words out fast, like a bullet. Hoping to get it over with as quickly as possible.

And that was were it began. Sitting in the swallowing white of a hospital room. My new life. My sob story.