57: Growing Pains

A/N:

Hey all,

I hope everyone's staying safe and sane during this crazy time. Unfortunately for me, I have only gotten more busy during the quarantine which is why I'm not able to update as quickly as I'd like. I really appreciate the support and understanding you guys have given me.

There are only a few chapters after this one - we're basically at the end.

Thanks again!

-Tera

-------------------

The day Will broke into Grace's house was a blur of chaos for Cal. She frantically called the police while rushing Grace to her own house where they could be safe. The cops responded quickly to the break-in, but Will was no longer in the residence, so a search was conducted throughout the neighborhood. Finally, they caught the bastard hopping fences a few blocks away from Grace's house. Apparently his nose got broken while being tackled during the arrest.

Serves him right...

However, this information was not immediately relayed to Cal who was doing her best to comfort her justifiably hysterical girlfriend. Grace was convinced he would find them, her face streaked with a constant flow of tears, body trembling. Cal's heart broke from seeing the state of her – after all, her worst nightmare had come true. It was an absolute blessing that Cal had arrived and given Grace a chance to escape before...

Well, Cal didn't want to think about what could've happened.

Once Will was arrested, Cal and Grace were driven to the police station for questioning about the incident. The police called Grace's dad to tell him what happened and he immediately left work to drive over. Naturally, he was distraught, though his panicking wasn't necessarily helping Grace's mental state. Cal and an officer calmed him down and they talked through everything that happened.

It was late at night by the time the questioning was over and Will was secured in the county jail. Grace clung to Cal the whole time and Cal did the best she could to just be there for her. She had no idea if what she was doing or saying was right, but all she could offer was her best. Few things seemed to be soothing Grace's paranoia and fear.

Grace's father told his parents about the whole situation and asked them to keep her twin brothers at their place. But that still left him and Grace without a place to sleep – the house was now a crime scene and the brunette obviously wouldn't want to step foot in there now anyway.

So, Cal did the unthinkable. She relied on her mother.

Since her mom knew Grace and her father, she was just honest about the situation and hoped the normally cruel matriarch would be willing to help. And, sure enough, she did. Cal's house had an extra room in the form of Samantha's old bedroom so Grace's dad could stay there. And since Cal was such a "close friend" of Grace, they could both just sleep in Cal's room.

Cal could've nearly collapsed in relief at this news since she had no idea what to do. But sleeping in the same bed was not the romantic ordeal that she had imagined when they started dating. Most of the night was spent with Grace sobbing uncontrollably into her shoulder before falling asleep, waking up violently from a nightmare, and sobbing again.

Cal sacrificed sleep to care for her traumatized girlfriend, terrified that if she nodded off, she wouldn't wake up when Grace had another episode.

Unfortunately, happiness and peace didn't seem to come easily to the two girls. Cal prepared for a long, uncertain road ahead. But one thing was for sure...

She wasn't going to leave Grace on her own.

--

Days blended into weeks and by the time Spring Break ended, Grace still wasn't quite ready to return to school. She, her father, and her brothers were returned to their home, but Grace's dad decided that they needed to move promptly.