007. an interlude from a god

There are three points I have to make.

Point number one: Love.

The Urban Dictionary defines love as "the act of caring and giving to someone else, having someone's best interest and wellbeing as a priority in your life. To truly love is a very selfless act." The Webster Dictionary calls it, "a feeling of strong attachment induced by that which delights or commands admiration; preëminent kindness or devotion to another; affection; tenderness." Google says love is, "an intense feeling of deep affection." Three different definitions that can boil down to three things: affection, attachment, and selflessness.

Three things that our main focus character hated.

"Hated" being in the context of attachment leads to hurt feelings, affection leads to rejection, and selflessness leads to death. Or, at least, in his opinion. I have personally known someone who would wholeheartedly agree with his sentiments, and continues to love bravely—selflessly in every context, every day. You may not be familiar with whom I am speaking of, but you do know her stories. However, I will not tell you. Let's save a little mystery until the end.

Point number two: Soulmates.

Soulmates aren't often believed to exist in the modern world. By dreamers, writers, et cetera et cetera. But not by those realistic people, those who know that people leave, people cheat, and people die, and you can always get over it eventually. Most people know this to be true; the mind and body is a wonderful, resilient thing that can conquer grief with an unbelievable strength.

However, there are those who do in fact have soulmates, those the Fates chose for them to be bound in the most sacred way—by the soul and for all of their incarnations. Those who Aphrodite thought were best for each other and sent Eros to shoot them with the arrows of love, binding them together for all of their many lives until they finally reach Elysium.

In the case of Eliot and Quentin, it was the former. (Even though Aphrodite is rooting for them, I don't care what anyone else tells you.)

I suppose it is meant to be a truly great love story when even the three most powerful Fates, whose will even the almighty Zeus bends to, are rooting for them. And it is a great love story. But, like all great love stories, they have their trials and tribulations. Heartbreak, denial, death.

However, if anything can be taught to humanity and gods alike by the myths, it is that death is not always where it ends. There have been countless tales: Orpheus and Eurydice, Adonis, and more where people (come and) go from the Underworld for love. However, only if Hades permits that they leave his kingdom.

That was Eliot's main problem.

Point number three: Petition.

When petitioning a god, you need to know what they like and what they don't like. You need to know how to summon them, how to speak to them, and how to honor them. Unfortunately, he couldn't take the easy route through tarot cards and pendulums. Eliot had to go down to the Underworld himself and convince Hades to give him back Quinten.

The bad part is that Hades already had his mind made up about Eliot.

The good part is that Eliot had multiple gods rooting for him from behind the scenes.

And, hopefully, in the end, they will be together again.

Only the Fates could know.