Cross My Heart Chapter Three

• Dedicated to The Washington Spy Museum- where I learned that everything is not what they seem

Chapter Three 

Rachelle:

Okay Rachelle, breathe, breathe, breeeeeeeeeeeeeathe. You can do this. You can do this. 

"Who am I kidding? I can't do this!"I hit the headboard of my bed, running both hands through my hair. Carina sighed beside me.

"I don't get it, Rach. I thought you like him." She twirled a lock of her copper-coloured hair around her fingers.

"That's the problem! He's a jerk1"I groused, hitting myself on the head.

"Fine, he may be a jerk, but atleast he's hot, have you seen him on Poeple last month? Jesus, pictures do not do him justice!"She whistled silently, picking up a piece of gum from my dresser. 

I shot her a you have to be kidding look. She smiled sweetly and popped the gum in her mouth.

"I must agree. He is a total player. He's with a different girl like, on each issue of People." Carina patted my back."So are you, like, going to go downstairs, cause I saw some hot guys down there and I'm not going to St.Bart's single."

I hit myself on more time and sighed,"fine, fine. I'll come with you, in case you fall down the stairs or something."

"Don't count on it, sweetie."She laughed, hooking her arm through mine. 

We walked down the stairs and observed the scene. Elegant people wearing designer clothes lingered the room, gracefully sipping champagne. I gupled when my eyes landed on Nate, who was talking in a urgent tone on his cellphone.

"Ooh la la!"Christy purred, looking in my direction."Just from looking at his back, I can tell that he has a six pac."

"God, how do you come up with these things?"I shook my head, grabbing a flute of foamy champagne from a nearby waitress. 

"Rachelle, darling. There are some people that I would like you to meet."My mother came alobg, got hold of my arm and twisted until I obeyed her, and followed her to the living room.

"Ow! Ow! Are you trying to kill me, mother?"I snapped at her and ripped my arm from her. Oh great, it left a bruise.

She ignored me. Typical. "Ah! Susan! Robert! I am so glad you came."She dragged me to the couple standing close to the balcony. I tried to claw to the sofa and sink my nails in, but failed.

I sucked in a breath when I noticed who they were. Of course! What are the odds? 

Susan Jacobson, with her stance like Queen Elizabeth, with her nose held high. Like she was trying to catch flies up there.She has also been an impeccably dressed women, her taste just a bit over tacky. At her side, was her husband, Robert Jacobson, his face full of delight. He was a older version of Nate, only with brown eyes. 

"Is that little Rachelle?"Robert squinted and pulled me into a hug. He was strong for a old guy. 

Um... Okay....? I was hardly little anymore. 

"Oh my, she's blossomed quite fast, look at that lovely face. Wouldn't they make a dashing couple?"Susan gave me a warm smile, her emerald green eyes bored into mine. Her british accent sounded silly to me at that time. 

They? Who's "they"?  

"Absolutely, my dear. Since they both have brown hair." Robert nodded, waving someone over.

"Um... It's a pleasure seeing both of you again, Mr and Mrs Jacobson."I gave them one of my fake smiles and fidgeted with the hem of my skirt. My cheeks were burning with humiliation.