29

i'd probably still adore youwith your handsaround my neck

i'd probably
still adore you
with your hands
around my neck

TWENTY NINE

DAISY

As soon as we make it to my house and step out of his car, Seth stops me before I can walk up to the front door. He rubs his hand down his mouth and chin, as if he was stressed.

"Tell me Daisy, what the fuck were you thinking?"

I flinch at the harshness of his voice and avoid making eye contact as I play with the end of my dress.

"Well? I'm waiting."

"I-I don't kn-"

"You don't know, exactly." He interrupts. "You do shit without thinking. All. The damn. Time. Do you remember what almost happened the last time you went to a party? Or did you forget already." I shrink back as he steps closer. His eyes inspect my face and he scowls. "Are you fucking high?" He reaches out and grips my chin before searching my eyes. "What, so now you smoke? I thought you were too stupid to even know what that was."

His words make me freeze.

Stupid. Too stupid.

You're stupid, Daisy. Even Seth thinks so.

"For fucks sake, quit being a baby. You smoke weed and go to parties remember? You're a big girl."

I don't bother mentioning that I really don't know what weed is.

"I-I didn't-I didn't smoke anything, I promise-"

"Stop fucking lying!" He snaps, his voice loud enough to wake the neighbors, making me flinch yet again. "Maybe they were right to treat you the way they did. Apparently that's the only way you'll learn your damn lesson."

As soon as he brings them up and speaks that all too familiar phrase, it feels like my lungs stop working and I struggle to find air, even with it surrounding me.

I slowly shake my head.

He's lying.

He said they were wrong.
He said I was good.

My panicking increases and my grip on the bottom of my dress tightens, to the point where I can feel my fingernails digging through the fabric and into my skin.