Chapter 1

Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way

Oh what fun it is to ride in a one horse open sleigh

Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way

Oh what fun it is to ride in a one horse open sleigh 

Dashing--

"LUCAS ROBERT HEMMINGS, I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!" Ashton Irwin groaned as he was woken by the sound of angry Michael Clifford's voice. He opened his eyes just in time to see Michael race out of the room. Ashton rolled over to see Calum still asleep beside him, and he chuckled. 

"Mmh, what time is it?" Calum muttered, his eyes fluttering open. 

"FIVE FREAKING THIRTY!" Michael roared, ushering a startled-looking Luke back into the room. He was wearing one of the funniest costumes Ashton had ever seen: He had on a classic ugly Christmas sweater, a pair of red jeans, green sneakers, a Santa hat, and was carrying a box of Christmas decorations.

"Michael, I was decorating!" Luke exclaimed, his voice defensive. Ashton put a pillow over his head and tried to go back to sleep. But the second he heard Michael start to swear at Luke, he jumped out of bed and put himself in between them. 

"Whoa, guys, ease up, would you?" Ashton asked. "In case you didn't know, some of us are still trying to sleep. Michael, shut up and go to bed. Luke, get changed and do the same. Christmas Eve is tomorrow, you can afford to sleep in." 

"I don't want to share with him," Luke complained. Ashton sighed. 

"We can switch," he offered. "Now seriously, guys, go. We don't want the management to have to come up here and complain that guests were disturbed by Luke Hemmings trying to decorate the room for the holidays." 

Luke, looking disturbed at the thought, got changed into a pair of Christmas pajamas, and hopped into the bed where Michael had previously slept. Ashton got in on his other side, and Michael got in beside the now-sleeping Calum. Ashton quickly got up again to make sure all the lights were off before he got back in bed, shut his eyes, and fell asleep. 

"So long story short, it was a heavy throwdown, eh?" 

"I'm telling you, you should've been there." Ashton pushed his phone further up on his shoulder. He was sitting in the window of a coffee shop, watching the New York scenery. He was wearing a warm wool coat, a pair of jeans, grey Vans, and had a cup of coffee in front of him. 

"Good on you for stopping it, mate. Wouldn't have wanted it to turn into a barfight." Ashton swore he heard Ed grinning on the other end of the phone. "So what are your plans for the holidays?" 

"Well, because of the snow, the guys are stuck in New York until January 3rd," Ashton replied. "How about you?" 

"I'm heading your way as well, actually. I couldn't find many flights, but I managed to bribe a private jet pilot to bring me round," Ed explained. "I could organize a flight out for you guys." 

"Oh, no, I'm not complaining," Ashton assured him. "What makes you so eager to come out? My guess is definitely not the New York vibe." 

"Um, no. Taylor invited me, and she said I could stay at her place until the day after New Year's, when I have to go back on tour." Ed sounded embarrassed. 

"Good on you, man," Ashton told him. "So are you and Taylor, like, officially dating yet?" 

"No. Not yet, anyways..." 

"A-ha! There's a yet! A yet is a good sign!" Ashton exclaimed, causing several of the coffee shop customers to cast strange looks in his direction. His text icon suddenly blinked. "Hey, man, I've gotta go, but I'll talk to you soon, okay?" 

"Sounds like a plan. Hey, Taylor's organizing this huge New Year's mob in Times Square for when the ball drops. Do you wannna come? You can bring the guys too," Ed invited. 

"That sounds like fun, but I'll have to ask the guys," Ashton explained. "I'll call you later, though. Have a good day!" 

"You too, mate." On Ed's final words, Ashton hung up. He thanked the barista for his coffee, who nodded at him as he headed out of the shop. He started on his way back to the hotel, gazing around at the shops nearby. They all had their Christmas decorations up, a clear sign that Christmas was only a day away. It was still hard to believe. 

Digging through his pockets, Ashton discovered that he had thirty dollars to blow. Since he wasn't too keen on playing peacemaker between Michael and Luke, he decided to go and spend it. He headed across the street to Future Shop, where he started looking at electronics even though he could probably only buy a pair of headphones or a phone case with the thirty dollars he had. 

Just as he was crossing the street with a pair of headphones he'd bought for Michael in a gift bag, he spotted a group of girls, all of them holding 5 Seconds of Summer posters. Ashton groaned. Time for the attack of the fangirls. 

"Ashton! Ashton! Ashton!" the girls chanted, and Ashton rolled his head back on his neck. He loved his fans, but sometimes they just got too annoying. "Ashton, sign my poster!" 

"Ashton, will you marry me?" 

"Ashton, have my children!" 

"Ashton, come to my city!" 

Ashton was starting to get a headache from the girls' chants. Normally he didn't have a problem with his fans, but for some reason today he just wasn't having it. 

He tried to look around for a place to hide, but found none. That's when someone reached out and grabbed his arm. Ashton let out a shout as the person dragged him along, and for a second he wondered if it really was some girl trying to take him home. But that's when he looked up and saw the familiar face of his good friend Harry Styles. 

The British singing sensation was dragging him through a hotel lobby. Still out of sorts from the fangirl attack, Ashton tried to gather his bearings. But the room started to look fuzzy. Ashton stopped, causing Harry to stop as well. 

"Ashton, mate, are you okay?" he asked, checking Ashton to make sure he was okay. But Ashton wasn't okay. In fact he was starting to feel a bit dizzy.

That was the last thing he was able to think before he abruptly passed out.