Crash

Silence. The drive home was of minimal talk, my sense of accomplishment wore off after being in the car for 5 minutes with Sera. She looked so glum, I couldn't help but feel guilty, even though that I knew I had done the right thing. Finally she spoke, " I was having so much fun Mindy, don't you love me? You would have let me stay if you did." her voice was sleepy and gurgled.

I handed her a bottle of water that I had found in her big boho chic purse, "Drink this."

She pouted, "why?"

"Just listen to me Sera, you'll understand once you're un drunk."

She drank the water, in several big gulps. 10 minutes had passed, we were almost at her place....when the car began slowing. Oh snap, I checked the gas o' meter, stupid me. The gauge read near empty. Slowly, the car skidded to a halt, I pushed the gas pedal, it didn't budge. Wow stuck in the middle of the road with my best friend, who can barley think straight let alone talk like someone her age. I pushed the emergency lights blinker button, and looked over at Sera. She had her eyes half closed, on the verge of sleep. Who could you call at 2 am on a Friday night to bring you a can of gasoline? I dialed my older brother's Ryan's number, he didn't pick up, I dialed again and again. Sera's home wasn't too far away, but no way could one sober and one drunk girl walk the streets at 2 am, it was to dark and too risky, plus we had the car to worry about.

        Sera was almost asleep, "hey," I shook her shoulder, "We're out of gas." I left out the details of our options, she didn't really have the ability to fully think now. I drummed my fingers on the steering wheel. The police was wayyy out of the option. We had a fully intoxicated chick right here, under the age of 21.

" Thank you." Sera murmered. I looked over at her with her eyes closed, surprised.

"It was just so fun. And it had been so long....so long since"..

"I know." I whispered, " I know."

        She was fully unconcious now and asleep, I resisted the serious urge to wake her up, hoping that my best freind had magically become sober, I needed her. Black surrounded the streets, and not a car strolled by. It was strange how the same exact thing could be perceived in different ways...how everything could change so fast. This night was not the same type of refreshing, reliving night that had been when I had stepped out that party a couple of hours ago. This night was eerie and cold, and very black, very very black, with not a single firefly in sight. I thought out our options. It seemed best to just walk to Sera's. I could bunk with her, there was no one who could help us at this time over. My parents had gone down to Houston for the weekend, and even if they were here, they wouldn't be pleased that I had been at a party til after midnight with a completley wasted bff.

        The endless miles of empty black steet stretched out across my vision. The moon was out tonight, it was gorgeous and full, the silver illuminating the dark night; the shining specks of stars dotted across the deep blue hued canvas. I tapped my fingers on the steering wheel endlessly, frantically looking around for anything besides black &emptyness. The winding roads seemed to taunt me, as of they were saying "Stop sitting here. Do something. Drive" Eerie silence, the quiteness closed in on me trapping me into a sense of desperation and lonliness. My eyes wandered back up to the shimmering moon, a beauty in the midst of dark. It was so full and a contast to the empty around me, it had a gold aura that brightened the night. I smiled at the moon, it had given me a sense of hope, It seemed to sneak a wink at back me.

        The sound of an engine abrupty halted my peacful thoughts. I heard a car drive slowly behind us and skid to a stop. I braced the steering wheel and squeezed my eyes shut. Please be help, I prayed. The bright headlights stung my eyes, I squinted through the glass as a fist knocked on the car window Knock. Knock. I inhaled and carefully rolled down the window, "Hello?" my voice shook. I gasped, two silky green eyes stared at me. "Open the window," a voice of velvet husk spoke. My ration thought screamed at me not to but somehow I compelled, unable to deny the beautiful sound coming from the beautiful human. It was a young man, maybe 18, 19 or even 20, I couldn't be sure. I watched his arms move up and into the car through the window, I held my breath as he pushed in a big plastic jug of gasoline through the window. I stared at him in shock, my expression bewildered, " How did you know?"

"Lucky guess."

        I continued to stare at him taking in his beauty, he was a match for the moon! I waited for him to say more, but nothing came. He seemed to have a pained expression on his face, like he was struggling very hard to keep something under control. So curious and compelling. Intriguing.

        I snapped out of my awed trance, "Th-thank y-" I began to stutter, but he cut me off with a breif nod of his head and before I could even fully process what had occured, he was gone. I watched his sleek sports car race through the roads in front of me until it vanished. I sat there, bewildered, shocked and amazed for a few moments, pondering how a stranger had randomly popped out of nowhere and without barley uttering a word had ended my troubles.Thank you God for answering my prayers.

        I got out of my inital shocked and etranced state while stepping out of the car. We were going home.