chapter 2

"Over here."

He waves his hand in the air and the two other men come near me.

"Are you Madison Davis?" the tall cop asks.

"Um yes..."

"We are here to inform you that your mother has been in an accident and she has passed away."

I stood there shocked. I didn't cry, I didn't frown, I wasn't upset but I wasn't happy. I didn't know what to feel.

"Your father wrote in his will that's he would like you to live with the Brooks' considering you have no family left. We are instructed to take you down to the station where you will wait over night for Christina Brooks to come get you. Please pack your things up."

"Okay."

Okay was all I could say, I couldn't even think straight. I trotted upstairs and I grabbed a suitcase out of the closet. I put all my clothes in first; I had plenty of room left. I put my picture frame of me and my dad together in it. I went to the bathroom and grabbed my tooth brush. I put my brush in next to it. I grabbed my box of memories out of the closet. I picked up my suitcase and I swung it onto my back and I picked up the box, I took one last look at my empty room. I looked at the nothing I had. I closed the door and walked down the stairs.

"You need help with that?" one of the cops asked.

"No thank you," I stated

I followed the tall cop out to the car and he opened the door for me. I got in holding my very few things. He closed the door and came around to the other side. He started driving; the other cops split up and went their own way. We didn't talk the whole drive because there was nothing to talk about, I'm sure he didn't want to talk about the death of my family and he didn't know me well enough to discuss something else.

We pulled into the station. I followed him inside, there was a lady sitting at her desk smiling at me, she must have known why I was here and felt bad for me.

"So you're going to have to stay in an unlocked cell for the night. In the morning Christina should pick you up here." The tall cop informed me.

"Oh thank you..." I looked for his name tag. "...Tom."

"Goodnight Madison."

"It's Madi."

"Goodnight Madi."

"Goodnight."

I set my stuff down next to the bed and I crawled into the cell bed. It was weird spending the night here but I had to deal with it for tonight. I started to close my eyes while I let my mind wander. I may have been asleep but my mind wasn't.

~~~~~~

I woke up to the bright sun coming through the small window. It felt weird waking up in something other than my room. I got up and grabbed my toothbrush and toothpaste out of my suitcase. I walked over to the small metal sink and I brushed my teeth.

The nice lady I saw yesterday came in.

"Hello, if you are hungry there are some donuts here, Mrs. Brooks should be here within a half hour, and she just got off the plane."

"Yes please, donuts sound good. Thank you."

"Follow me."

I followed her into the little meeting area they had here in the station, there were a few cops snacking on the donuts and they all chatted amongst themselves. I grabbed a strawberry frosted donut and started munching on it. I took a cup of water and chugged it down. I finished quickly and through my stuff away. I walked back to the bed near my stuff.

I lay down and stared at the ceiling. I thought about what was happening. I was going to go live with the Brooks. I don't know their family too well except that Mrs. Brooks was married and had 6 children, and they are all boys. I don't remember their names or ages but they do sound like trouble. It's a good thing I have Mrs. Brooks there so I'm not the only girl. I know that they live in California. That's why it takes Christina so long to get here. They are family friends with my father so I'm going to move in with them. I hear a lady talking to the lady at the desk and I jump up, she's here for me! Finally, I'm ready to leave.