Chapter 20 - Moon's Hellfire?

September 6, 2017

2:43 am, Cancun, Mexico

Wave stares at the full moon, her piercing blue eyes silently pleading for help from the heavens. She could hear the sea far off in the distance. Its waves reassuring her, or so she imagined.

"What happens to us after?" Isabela asks, her query drawing Wave out of her thoughts.

"I will contact a friend of mine." Wave answers turning back to face the crowd with Isabela in front, "She runs a really big aid organization so she should be able to help y'all out."

"What about your government?" Maria asks as she hugs her son, Alejandro.

"We are Americans." Wave responds with a smile and wink, "But we never said we were sent by the American government."

"But-" Mariah and Serena protest in a bit of confusion.

"Just consider us a group of concerned Americans with deadly skills." Wave interrupts then stops, "Who will disappear after this is all-"

Wave's eyes widen as they lock on the barn doors. A big black man carrying a charred body on his broad shoulders walks out. Even from this distance, Wave knows there can only be one corpse Quake would carry with such respect. Her smile disappears. Her worst fear is here.

A few seconds ago...

"Almost up, Chief." Quake says in between heaves, "Hang on."

Step-by-step Quake ascends the stairs. On his powerful shoulders rests the unconscious and horribly burned leader of Team Six. Fire.

"Here we are." Quake says in a giant puff.

Quake steadies himself then kicks the door open. He exits into the abandoned barn. He makes his way to the barndoor with full moonlight streaming through. A crowd awaits just a few meters out. Quake's solemn brown eyes scan the crowd, suddenly...

"NOOOOOO!!!" Wave shouts as she races towards Quake.

Quake makes his way through the parting crowd. He gently lays down Fire.

"He's unconscious." Quake explains.

Wave kneels in front of Fire. No part of his body is spared from the flames. His melted flesh charred in black patches. The visceral aroma of cooked human muscle assaults the air, forcing those in the crowd, not already doing so in shock, to cover their mouths with their hands. Sounds of gasps and prayers permeate.

"Those animals must pay!" Wave shouts.

"Abyss is already ahead of you." Quake responds with a sigh.

"Dear God!" Serena remarks. She and Mariah are standing right behind Wave looking at Fire.

A moment passes as whispers ripples through the crowd at the sight of a burned corpse. Isabela stares intensely as if contemplating a deeper significance.

"What are those?" Alejandro suddenly asks, pointing up at the night sky.

Quake looks up, squinting his eyes then widening them in shock. 4 objects with trailing smoke are rapidly descending.

"Missiles!" Quake shouts in obvious shock.

"Run!" Wave shouts, "Away from the barn!"

Panic ensues as the crowd starts running. Quake quickly scoops up Fire in his arms then dashes ahead. Wave right behind him.

"GET DOWN!" Quake shouts as he falls over Fire in a protective embrace. Wave covers Quake.

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

The ground violently shakes. The four blasts combine into a fireball. The expanding horizontal heatwave rapidly turning into a rising vertical plume of smoke. Dust and debris litter the air.

"Oh god!" Wave says, looking at the complete fiery rubble which used to be the barn.

"NO!" Quake shouts as he looks up and back at the barn door which is now a smoldering crater.