I looked at their direction too and watched as Kira played with Damen. Lizzy was reciting something in front of Analee and Analee clapped her hands when Lizzy bowed her head. They were a perfect picture of a happy family.

The way Kira looked at Analee made it clear to everybody that he would never regret what he did just to save Analee. His eyes were always filled with love and joy every time he looked at her. And every second of Analee’s life, he never failed to let her know that he loved her more than his own life. 

I envy Analee for that.

All the demons and angels around me thought that the only reason why I wanted to find someone to love me was that I wanted to save my life. Even Kira and Athrun, the two closest people in my life, thought the same thing. They had always thought that there was nothing more important to me than my own life.

But they were wrong… so wrong.

I wanted to be loved just the way Analee was loved by my brother. I do not want to die unloved. I wanted to know what it feels like to love and be loved by the person I love.

Many humans have said that love would not only bring happiness but also pain so they tried to avoid it. But I believe that only pitiable people would avoid that. Who damn cares if it would be very painful? I will not give a damn even if it would kill me.

I would rather die than live a life doing nothing but elude love!

“How old are you, Zena?” Kim asked, cutting off my train of thoughts.

“Thi – thrity – thirty five,” I stammered. His sudden interest on my age surprised me a little. No one, except Kira, had asked me about my age.

Kim cocked his head to the other side and gently rubbed his thumb on his chin. “Is it true that Frontterra dies when they turned fifty?”

I swallowed hard and nodded.

“And the angel who will perform the ritual will be turned into a human?”

I nodded again. “Both the frontterra and the angel will be turned into a human.”

“Did Athrun say that he was going to do the sacrifice to save you?”

My head snapped up. “Why would he say that?”  

He shrugged imperturbably. “Well, may be because he likes you.”

I sighed and sat on the chair. “Like is very different from love. The book of ritual said that the one who would do the sacrifice should be in love with the frontterra. If not, then both will die after the ritual.”

After hearing it, Kim sat beside me and put a trembling hand on my arm. “You know what, I like you.”

I looked up at him and met his steady gaze. “Like is very different from pity too, in case you don’t know.”

“I don’t pity you, Zena…”

“Yeah right…”

He chortled and removed his hand on my arm. “You are different. You are very mysterious. It was so hard for me to read you. I always have to ask questions just to know what was on your mind.”

“That’s all?”

“And you are very beautiful tonight,” he said gruffly and tilted my head so that he could see my face properly. “I can’t keep my eyes off of you.”

“Th – thanks,” I mumbled.

“Welcome,” he whispered and slowly, very slowly, he inched his face closer to mine.