Chapter 1

I had just graduated college a month ago and had applied for my dream job, being a professor, a math professor to be precise. A lot of people say that they hate math but I love it. I have two passions; teaching and math so it was the perfect job! I had applied for the job at the school I graduated from and I was sure to get it. They knew I was great at math and teaching. I would love to make a contribution to somebody's education.

I was sitting on the couch while waiting for the letter that would decide my job. On the couch with me were my two best friends and roomies.

On my left was Mindy Westerfield. She was smart, sweet and very tough. Her hair was light brown with blond tips. She had deep green eyes and she wore red hipster glasses. They really suited her. She always wore a fancy top and casual jeans.

I hate jeans. I always feel like they're trying to strangle my legs.

On my right was Charlotte Roseline. Her last name was actually pronounced Rosiline. We call Charlotte, Char for short. I actually like Charlotte better but I got used to calling her Char. Char was a little shy, gossipy and very sweet. She loves fashion. She wasn't very good at school though. She has short, puffy black hair that goes down to her chin. Her eyes were dark brown.

In the middle of both of them was me. My name is Erise Limberdale. You've probably never heard of the name Erise, that's because it's made up. My mom is an artist and my dad is a writer, so it's no suprise they used creativity for my name. I am a casual, nice person. I am really good at math and I always wear sweat pants and a t-shirt. I have dirty blonde hair and light blue eyes.

We all live in a condo on the third floor. I looked into my friends eyes, we were all so nervous. I wasn't the only one who was waiting for a letter from their dream job, so was Char and Mindy. Char had applied to a writing job at Vogue and Mindy had applied to a job at Animal Planet as an animal biologist. We had been sitting on our purple couch doing nothing but waiting for half an hour.

My hands started to tremble when I heard the door bell ring.

"Ding Dong!"

I got up and softly said "I'll get it..." To Mindy and Char.

I walked to the door and unwillingly opened it. A brunette boy wearing a baseball cap was at the door. He was wearing a mailman uniform and his cap said "MAIL" on it. He looked about sixteen. It wasn't our usual mailman.

"Hi, I assume your the new mailman.. What happened to Gary?" I asked.

"Oh he retired."

I remembered Gary's white hair and cane. He was old... I was kind of happy he retired because every time he brought us a package he looked like he was braking his back.

"I've got four letters for you gals." He said.

I grabbed the letters out of his hands in excitement.

"Bye!" I said to the new mailman.

I closed the door. I sat on my spot on the couch. I looked at the first letter. It was just a bill! I through it on to the coffee table. The next letter was Mindy's. I handed it to her. Then I handed Char her's. There it was, right in my hand, the letter of my future job. I tore the top off and pulled the letter out. I was too exited to read it, so I just read the last sentence inside myself. "Miss Limberdale I am very sorry to inform you that there are no job openings this year, please apply again next year." No! There had to be a mistake! I read the letter from bottom to end, word to word just incase. I felt a small cold tear falling down my face. I looked at my two friends. They both looked disappointed. In fact Char was crying. It was no surprise that Mindy wasn't. In all the time I've known her I had only seen her cry three times.