Sacrifice

He that fights and runs away, May turn and fight another day; But he that is in battle slain, Will never rise to fight again.

-Tacitus

It wasn't long until Gora Neskaya started preparing for the war against Walnia, people were in panic, never before have they faced such a dangerous kingdom on the battlefield, and the name of Darius the Dark echoed in their heads, making them feel the constant fear.

"Are you afraid of the blind man?" Zorya mocked the people around for their fear as she was trying to lift their spirits for the fight.

"Enough Zorya, we treat out enemies with respect and we don't underestimate them." Yaropolk frowned at her behavior and Zorya glared at her brother.

"I am not saying we should underestimate him, I am saying we should stop acting like a cowards!" Zorya yelled at her brother.

"Please, stop you two, the battle is coming you don't want to be angry at each other when it happens." Boris warned his siblings.

"You are right." Yaropolk said and looked at his little sister.

"I am sorry." Zorya said to her brother.

With every battle, she was afraid that she will lose her brothers, she grow up with them, and they were always here closest friends, someone she looked up to, and after all, family is always the most important thing, it always comes first no matter what happens.

Yaropolk and Boris came forward and hugged their little sister.

"My children." Vadim said as he approached them with Mira.

"Please, be careful in the battle." Mira said with tears in her eyes, frightened of the thought of losing her children, and now all three of them were about to be sent in the war.

Both Mira and Vadim used to be an astonishing warriors in their young days, but now they were simply too old to stand in the first lines, instead their children will fight and that is how their blood will be on the battlefield.

"Don't worry mother, we are going to be fine." Boris said.

All three of siblings looked away from the tears of their mother because going to the battle was always harder for them after they saw her crying.

"Take care of your sister, and may the gods be with us, may Perun mighty God of thunder and his holly father Svarog give you enough strength to win this battle." Vadim said.

Three of siblings hugged their parents.

"Stay here Kreshnik, I will come back soon." Zorya said to her wolf before patting him on his head. The big grey animal looked her with the sad eyes, knowing that where his princess is going, many of warriors never come back.

Right before the battle, as Christians were praying for their victory over the evil to their God, the pagans were sacrificing the animals that they dedicated to their gods, praying for the strength and honorable death.

Pagans draw the symbols of their gods on the faces.

Christians wore the golden crosses around their necks.

Pagans were waiting while holding their axes.

Christians came wearing the swords in their hands.

Zorya, Boris and Yaropolk stood in the first line, fearlessly looking at the army of Christians that was approaching them.

Darius walked with his head up high, showing no emotion on his face, while his brothers shivered as they saw the pagans.

That is when Zorya saw Darius for the first time, their eyes locked into the passionate hate that was visible to everyone who would look at them. Darius couldn't see her very well, but he was sure that the girl that he saw holding an axe and standing in front of the man was the pagan princess he read so much about. And beside her, stood her older brothers.

"People of Gora Nevskaya! You know why me and my men came on your lands! But this doesn't have to end in a bloodshed, it can end peacefully if you surrender to me, but I warn you, that if you want a bloodshed, you are going to get one." Darius was first to speak, and he surprised everyone when he spoke language of the Rus.

"You are in a delusion King Darius, if you think that we are going to let your Christian bastards roam around our lands!" Zorya was quick to answer.

Ad feral as he expected her to be.

"Zorya..." Yaropolk touched her shoulder but that didn't make her stop talking.

"I am going to defend our lands until I perish and even if I do and you have Gora Nevskaya, be sure that my spirit and the spirits of my people will never allow you to live in peace." Zorya threatened Darius making him slightly chuckle, amused by her feral way of speaking, and her strong spirit that seemed unbreakable.

"And I am sure that my brothers agree with me." Zorya added.

"We agree with our sister." Yaropolk said.

"We shall fight." Boris said.

"Then you shall have the bloodshed that you want." Darius said

The battle is about to begin! I am really hyped to continue to write this story!

I hope you all enjoy it!

Please leave a comment and tell me your opinion!