The carefully worded refusal

Começar do início

Yuzi raised an eyebrow.

"You're not taking anyone's name."

"True," sighed Kuldeep. Before he could change his mind, he called Ahona's mother.

"Good... good evening aunty," he began, stammering.

Yuzi grasped his arm as Siri put a supportive arm around his shoulder.

Kuliya just made everyone want to protect him all the time, thought Siri fondly.

"You see, there's a problem," said Kuldeep, and then he went dumb.

"I... can't...marry... Ahona," whispered Siri.

"I can't marry Ahona," blurted Kuldeep, wishing he wasn't quailing so much.

"I don't think it will be fair on either of us," prompted Yuzi.

"I don't think it will be...fair on either of us..." repeated Kuldeep blindly.

"Because I don't love her that way," said Siri.

"Because I don't..."

Ahona's mother was speaking at the other end, so Kuldeep was quiet for a bit.

"I understand, beta, we didn't really take either of your opinions while fixing it," she said.

Siri and Yuzi grinned at each other, relieved. The older woman seemed like a nice person.

"But I rather think Ahona has set her heart on this marriage..." she continued. "Isn't there anyway you could...? Maybe with time..."

"Oh...yes, I think..." Kuldeep began agreeing.

Yuzi and Siri were shaking their heads violently.

"I love someone else," said Siri loudly.

"You do!" said Yuzi.

The only thing worth fighting for in this world is happiness.

"I-I love someone else," said Kuldeep quietly.

"Oh well," said Ahona's mother. "It's all right, dear. I'll talk to Ahona right away. She'll accept it eventually."

"Thank you aunty," said Kuldeep with heartfelt relief, as he finally put down his phone.

"Great job," said Siri sarcastically.

"I went sort of blank," said Kuldeep apologetically.

Yuzi hugged the life out of his little brother.

"He did fine," he told Siri forcefully.

"Sure," said Siri. "When we go to tell the rest of them the story, neither of us prompted him a bit."

Laughing, they went to the girls' room to give the others the news, Kuldeep feeling like the weight of the world had been lifted off his shoulders after a very long time.

..........................................................................

The Plants vs Zombies party halted abruptly when Yuzi burst in and declared, "Kul has managed to turn down Ahona!"

"Did you really?" said Virat, rushing to ruffle Kuliya's hair, because he had known all along that this girl was not suitable for him and never could be.

"Yes, and all on his own," said Siri.

Kuldeep frowned at her and told Virat bhaiya, "I told her mother. Yuzi and Siri helped a lot," simply because he was Kuldeep.

Virat clapped Siri on the shoulder and Rohit went to high-five KulCha, and the room erupted with celebration.

Tani looked extremely proud of Kuldeep; Neha hugged him so hard that he almost overbalanced, Hardik was making a nice rhythmic metallic sound which added to the party atmosphere till Siri realised he was hitting their Tacheometer.

"You leave her alone this moment!" shouted Siri, rushing forward and pushing Hardik away.

Neha looked delighted. "You love Tracy too!"

Siri looked surprised at herself, but maybe...just maybe she had grown to love these inanimate things too in the course of this project.

"But of course she loves me more," Neha found the necessity to add.

"Stop being narcissist," said Rohit almost sternly.

"Are we going to club today to celebrate this?" yelled Hardik.

"You just need an excuse," snorted Jassi.

"We can go to a restaurant," conceded Virat. "If that's ok with everyone?" mainly looking at Kuldeep, Rishabh, Jassi and the girls.

Rohit looked at Virat, amused, because he treated the girls just like he treated the kids in their team-and very unlike the way he treated the rest.

Everyone pronounced in favour of the idea, except Hardik who still wanted to go to a club, and let them know that in no uncertain terms.

"For god's sake, Harry, don't you get it when you're outvoted?" demanded Tani.

Neha grinned at Hardik.

"Get ready quickly or don't come at all," said Virat heartlessly, and that made Hardik run out, howling.

"He's not normal at all," Jassi whispered to Tani.

Rishabh looked on mutinously.

............................................................................

Over dinner, Hardik was in a disagreeable mood, of course, and as the topic turned to why Ahona was so unsuitable for Kuldeep, he said, "I don't think it was that wise though, Kuliya."

"Why?" asked Yuzi, who thought it was the wisest decision they'd ever taken.

"At least that girl was willing to marry him," said Hardik sagely. "Do you think that's likely with anyone else?"

"Why the hell not?" said Siri.

"Look at him," said Hardik gleefully. "His childish looks and his idiotic personality!"

Kuldeep was so used to Hardik's taunts that he didn't even rise to the bait, but Neha wasn't having any of it.

"I think he's great in all respects," she said, scowling at Hardik. "Heaps better than you!"

"Of course he is," said Yuzi, grinning at Neha.

Tani and Siri exchanged a look.